New table saw under £1000 ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a catalog is nice...but more dangerous for the wallet
i like to have to search for what i want rather than what i shouldnt want

Steve

SteveF is right. Catalogues are bad news. I have tools that are very nice but that I never use. I even have tools that I don't use because they are too nice. Ludicrous I know.

Imagine a nice thick Axminster catalogue dropped through your letterbox. You could flick through the pages over a few nights, fold the corners on things you found interesting new and possibly useful, perhaps even purchase a few bits. Just having the pictures as a reference would be useful, even if you had to go to the website to get the latest and greatest most competitive price ! You go to an item via the index in a matter of seconds instead of trawling through completely useless unrelated stuff. It's gonna be the future, you'll see :)
Imagine if it were like maplin who charge you for a catalogue if you desire. It's what dreams are made of !
I'm gonna see if tilgear still do one :cool:

Coley

ColeyS1":2oda93hr said:
Imagine a nice thick Axminster catalogue dropped through your letterbox. You could flick through the pages over a few nights, fold the corners on things you found interesting new and possibly useful, perhaps even purchase a few bits. Just having the pictures as a reference would be useful, even if you had to go to the website to get the latest and greatest most competitive price ! You go to an item via the index in a matter of seconds instead of trawling through completely useless unrelated stuff. It's gonna be the future, you'll see :)
Imagine if it were like maplin who charge you for a catalogue if you desire. It's what dreams are made of !
I'm gonna see if tilgear still do one :cool:

Coley
let me see if i still have one
its all yours if i can find it :D

Steve

as usual the thread has gone off-track
i still look for a decent ts although not the OP

Julesbarn":3312tgap said:
Just realised the axminster 10", sip10", as well as the itech10" are all right tilters..and all look like the same saw (more or less). I'm used to a left tilter,but feel i could get used to a right tilter. What are the pros and cons of either??? (I'm left handed if that makes any difference,but have always used the fence to the right of the blade) Also,does anyone know if they all have an induction motor?? From what i can find, only axminster state an induction motor. If only the axy was as cheap as the itech...

I've had the iTech for a year or so now and yes it does have an induction motor so is pretty quiet. Happy with its performance and the fence can be either side of the blade if direction of tilt is a concern. Two negative points though which will no doubt apply to all the various badged versions -

1. Both mitre slots badly machined and had to be tickled with a file + slugs reduced slightly.
2. My chip extractor (one of these but badged Charnwood https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cde35b- ... GwodaVoB8w) although it clears most debris isn't powerful enough to suck dust from the hood/guard, won't even suck cigarette smoke and I suspect it's a mixture of too low power and secondly the ducting within the saw cabinet is very leaky. I use the shop vac on the guard if cutting MDF.

Edit - Forgot to mention that the mitre fence is rubbish, just like most OEM ones :cry:

i think i may have got over the left right tilt after comments in this thread
there is a 12" axi on a well known site at the moment,,,very tempted

not sure i have the room, so would probably have to strip the extras off it

Steve

The issue with trad right-tilters is really only when making angled cuts. The wood is effectively trapped in a tunnel - fence on the right, table on the bottom, blade left and above. So if the workpiece moves, the risk of kickback is greater.

With a left-tilter, the top of the job is open, and so the risk of trapping is reduced.

Mine is a right-tilter, but I make all my angled cuts with the fence on the left, which again keeps the top open and reduces the risk of kickback. It also stops me accidentally raising the blade into my fence...

well i had to go out and missed the axi 12"
there is a tsce 12r available but maybe overkill for a hobby machine

Steve

Wow! Very helpful posts.you have all helped me narrow things down. I'm buying new for sure (I've not enough experience to confidently look at used stuff). Giantbeat, good to know you like the itech.; graham f, thanks for that, i really want a quieter induction motor. I will be going to axi next week when girls back at school, if only to pretend I'm looking at the cheaper itech 10". I'll probably go for the itech. I was initially thrown by the fact that all the axi saws (apart from smaller site saws) are right tilt; but as mattias wandel's cast iron top saw is a right tilter then it's good enough for me!!

Talking of axminster catalogues..live still got the special hardback millenium edition. Might be worth a few quid! And the prices within..makes them look really cheap now!

Julesbarn":1sbq1mgs said:
Talking of axminster catalogues..live still got the special hardback millenium edition. Might be worth a few quid! And the prices within..makes them look really cheap now!

Suggest you don't wait too long as goods from China are usually priced from the factory in dollars and I suspect there will be big price increases when new stock starts to arrive.

does anyone have the tsce12r?
ready to push the trigger
only hobby use but would like a saw to outlive me

Steve

SteveF":1sfkvi8d said:
does anyone have the tsce12r?
ready to push the trigger
only hobby use but would like a saw to outlive me

Steve
No experience myself, but I've heard members on here say that once you push past the trade range at axminster, the industrial range doesn't match up to competitors

Might be worth hanging fire for the consensus :)

Graham..that's exactly what I've been concerned about,as i can procrastinate when it comes to buying stuff,especially something like a table saw.. And things will be going up. Also want a new bandsaw. Better get on with it eh?!

Latest posts

Back