New RECORD TS200 Sliding Table Saw!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T&TW

Reaction score
I was all set to buy this saw:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=4

But then i saw this little beauty from Record:

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php? ... 798&cat=45

I have to have a small saw, and i really couldnt go any bigger than these.

The record seems to be of a much higher build quality than the axminster and the main advantages are that it has a 250mm blade as opposed to the 200mm on the axminster. Also it has a sliding panel, that runs right along the edge of the blade, this is a huge plus for me because i am used to working with large panel saws on a daily basis. The rip fence is generally far better too.

The only thing putting me off the Record, apart from the price, is the fact the sliding table has no left hand support table, simply the sliding beam :(

I spoke to record and they have no plans to introduce any attachment. But what i was thinking is that i could attach a small pressed steel table and longer fence without having to add increased support???

This is a major disadvantage, but the saw overall is just much better than most of the other rubbish that is to be found when it comes to this size??

ok i guess we're not allowed post links,

the saws in question are the Axminster TS 200, like the little Fox one, i.e., the cheaper version of the Kity 419

The Record saw is The Record TS200C 10" COMPACT TABLE SAW (CAST IRON TABLE)

T&TW":2tyccxs5 said:
ok i guess we're not allowed post links,

the saws in question are the Axminster TS 200, like the little Fox one, i.e., the cheaper version of the Kity 419

The Record saw is The Record TS200C 10" COMPACT TABLE SAW (CAST IRON TABLE)

if the Record one your looking at is as poor as the Record TS250PP I'd give it a miss imho. Try a search on the forum for Record saws for info.
Hope this helps

I have had a Kity 419 for 8 years now and found it excellent for everything I have ever thrown at it. The sliding table is simple, but very effective. If size is an issue this saw is ideal as it is fairly compact.

From what I can see the Axminster copy looks identical, so I can only assume no reason to think it is any less effective than the Kity.

Ed

EdSutton":3vfe2s17 said:
I have had a Kity 419 for 8 years now and found it excellent for everything I have ever thrown at it. The sliding table is simple, but very effective. If size is an issue this saw is ideal as it is fairly compact.

From what I can see the Axminster copy looks identical, so I can only assume no reason to think it is any less effective than the Kity.

Ed

I agree with Ed on this one, the K419 with both the tables is a cracking little saw. The only real downside to it is the uber-rubbish (technical term) extraction so I've sealed up most of the drafty holes and put in a hopper type collector on the base which is attached to the sucky machine...I also now use the crown guard for extraction (never used to before) and have just this evening finished making a 'zero tolerance' plate for the table top. The net result of all this is that when sawing a bit of mdf which is the best dust generator available, there's no dust at all that can be seen...it all seems to be sucked into the can, which I am very impressed with :D :D - Rob

Rob

I've always made do with a Karcher shop vac hose shoved up the main dust port, which kind of works but is not that effective. I think I might have to take your improvements on board so that I don't end up with the front of my trousers and shoes covered in dust every time I cut something!

Ed

EdSutton":3v9gwlgn said:
Rob

I've always made do with a Karcher shop vac hose shoved up the main dust port, which kind of works but is not that effective. I think I might have to take your improvements on board so that I don't end up with the front of my trousers and shoes covered in dust every time I cut something!

Ed
...which is exactly what used to happen with me each time I cut somat :( - Rob

Yeah the axminster does look good, especially for the money, but it doesnt have that sliding beam and only has a 200mm blade, which wouldnt be too bad if my current table saw didnt have 250mm, even that i would consider small, nothing compared to a 450mm Sedgwick!!!!!

From what I can see the Axminster copy looks identical, so I can only assume no reason to think it is any less effective than the Kity

Can't speak for the Axminster one - but I have seen the Fox version in the flesh (looks identical to me apart from the price) and its rough as the proverbial badgers. I always liked the Kity which is a lovely saw - and this is a copy, but not well done, very rough and ready. If you are looking for a nice accurate tool this ain't it IMHO. If you just want a small step up from the cheapies with a quiet motor then maybe it is OK and the Axminster is a good bet as it is cheaper than the Fox for what looks like the same machine.

I saw the Record at Kempton and was impressed. I bought a TSPP250 when they first came out and after some initial problems (which Record put right quickly to be fair) it has been OK, but this new little saw looks very well specced for the size and price. If anything it seems more solidly built than the TSPP250. Earwigged on the Record guy giving his spiel to someone and apparently the whole saw unit is cast iron and sits in cast iron trunnions which is why its so heavy. On my TSPP250 the tables are cast iron but the saw housing is aluminium. He also claimed that the aluminium beam was machined for flatness (can't remember the tolerance quoted) - but he said that was very unusual on a saw at that level and usually found only on professional machines. It certainly looked the business, especially the fence which was hefty and had micro adjustment.

I bought the TSPP250 because at the time all the smaller saws I looked at (apart from the Kity) were rubbish. Whilst I liked the Kity I think it was around the time they went bust and I was worried about long term back up - they were also very expensive if I remember rightly. My biggest problem with the TSPP250 is just its sheer size with the sliding table on. Great for big sheets but I cut them so rarely it eats space when I could get away with something smaller. If the new Record had been out then I may well have been sorely tempted.

Cheers

Scratchy

Thanks for such an in depth discussion. I have decided to go for the record, but now there's another problem. My local record dealers dont stock the item although they will get it in if i wish. However i wanted to examine the saw more in depth before i commit to buying, just want to see some of the inside workings and technicalities, such as riving knife adjustment, sliding table adjustment, etc. What to do! :lol:

Back