new piece

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark sanger

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

This piece is carrying on my theme and interest in Japanese culture/references etc.

It is made of beech, coloured and textured, the lid handle is bamboo.

If any one is interested in the back ground/ ideas behind it then just ask.

The base is an old piece of burr oak. It is around 160 dia x 100 high including the bamboo leaves

STA70687croppedwi.jpg

Very nice indeed, Mark - I love the rugged burr oak base. Is that a real piece of bamboo and leaves? Or one of your clever carved/moulded finials like the chilli?

That's different, the natural rustic base and organic bamboo finial appear to be a projecting a calmer more soothing impression than the stark 'manufactured' finials.
Not that I have any problem with the geometric finials just that they tend to make me look at an overall piece with a more critical eye whereas this piece just seems to sit comfortably there in an unassuming way and be quietly contemplative and decorative.

Hi all

Thank you for your comments.

I enjoy making these pieces very much as there is a lot of significance behind each part. This I have learn with continue research of everything to do with Japanese culture. From the religions, clothes, pottery, pottery etc etc etc.

Bamboo is a sign of strength and resilience, while the leaves are to represent impermanence.

The leaves are real and eventually will wither a drop away leaving behind the basic bamboo stem. This is obviously the part in relation to impermanence, as is the ageing vessel . The piece is made to look austere so that it fits in with the Japanese philosophy of Wabi Sabi, as with previous pieces I have made in the same vain.

The base is also intended to align with this and to add a rough natural feeling to show this. basically even though it is not perfect as nature has made it this way then it is perfect.

Thank you again for your comments.

I do like these pieces Mark, simple and yet not simple to make this well. If part of it's raison d'etre is to be a contemplative piece, making people think, then it sounds as though it is definitely a success. If the leaves a re waxed they would last a lot longer by the way, just thinking of it being in a gallery for any length of time.

pete

Hi all

Thank you for your comments, much appreciated.

Pete

This piece will never go to a gallery.

Some of the pieces I make are , just for me, and a way of me letting out my creative ideas without concern for if they will sell or not.

I have sold some like this in galleries but without the leaves. Including the leaves is purely an art form (oh no I have said that word) within the piece which is more than purely visual.

the degrading/withering of the leaves is the main point of the piece and the fact that no one will ever see it in like this again other than in the 1000th of a second it took to take the picture, is for me even more relevant. Even now it is withering/ curling up and for me interest is in each stage of its changing.

I will be taking pictures for my blog to show these stages.

Stunning piece Mark, I love it when you do this kind of work.

very nice piece mark, it will be a shame when the leaves fall away as i think they add so much to the composition and tranquility of it, could you not make something to replace them, lots of really good lifelike stuff in the silk flower market nowadays.
I also like the background, i like the neutral colour balance which will make most pieces of wood stand out from it, care to share the info about it.

Hi Mark,

Beautiful and thought provoking.

I love the patina'd copper effect and technically brilliant as usual.

How long does it take to get these very realistic paint finishes.

Regards

Mikec

Hi Mark,

For me, this really has to be your best piece so far.

In terms of the piece capturing elements of japanese culture, and Wabi Sabi then I think you couldn't do better.

I am particularly attracted to the fact that the leaves will die off and you will be left with just the bamboo. Very significant of parts of the Samurai philosophy, also we are treated to the 'NOW' of the peice thanks to you (too many philosophies to discuss on that point for one thread!!!).

I think the rough, oak base is really contributing and lifting this piece well. A great contrast to the overall asthetic.

Excellent form, texture and turning skill as usual.

Cheers,

Lee.

:)

Hi all

thank you for your comments.

Loz

thank you, I enjoy making them.

Hi Steve

I hear what you say about the leaves. However the fact that they will fall off makes the point of me being able to see the piece and to take a picture of it in this state more enjoyable.

A bit like when you take a picture of a scenery/sunset that will never be the same again. The fact that it is no longer for me does not make the picture any less interesting. The piece will also take on a different look once the leaves have gone, I also have something else in mind for it then.

The background is a standard white to black gradient photography background. It is also down the focusing of the picture. the main focus is on the piece itself making the background less obvious. I think it is a shallow focal point or something similar. I just press a button and it does it for me.

the gradients can be purchased from here http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/categories/103/backgrounds-accessories

it is the £57 one.

Mikec

Thank you very much

The metal paint effect is actually easy to do, like most things the most effective is often the simplest. I use verdigris wax which has been used to age items since the mid 19th century, so the technique is not new at all.

very nice Mark- i really like circular texture on the concave uppper section of the piece reminds me of the patterns in the sand gardens

Hi George

thank you very much for you comments.

I hope you are well. I have been meaning to ring but things have been hectic.

Thanks again

Take care

Mark

here are few more pictures which shows the natural progression of the leaves curling up and slowly decaying. This was what I intended for the piece and it is interesting to see it change slowly.

STA70689_773x600_773x600.jpg

STA70713_755x600.jpg

Back