New Pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeder1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been a while since I've manage to get anything done in the workshop. But I've just turned this pen as a gift for my dad's 60th birthday.

The wood is buck-eye burr and the kit is the fountain pen kit from axminster. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, the finish is the best I have got so far, didn't need much sanding at all. The shape I'm not as sure on, and I think the lid should be a little less bulbous.

As always any comments/suggestions/critiques welcome :)

23qxd2a.jpg

2cwvsdu.jpg

dneptz.jpg

Cheers
John

I'm sure your Dad will love it if he dont send it this way LOL it looks great a lot of turners dont like this kit but us old un do

A birthday present to be proud of.The top (lid) profile looks fine to me I think its a matter of personal taste, a good looking fountain pen.,regards Dave.

woodyturner":1pgf4k8m said:
I'm sure your Dad will love it if he dont send it this way LOL it looks great a lot of turners dont like this kit but us old un do

Hehe, I'll bare that in mind. I quite like the kit, it writes nicely which is important, maybe a bit over priced, but I do think it looks good. I don't like the construction though, having to make a grove at the top for the clip to fit into scares the hell out of me, and i've ruined more than one pen doing that bit wrong!!

cornishdave":1tlcfz41 said:
A birthday present to be proud of.The top (lid) profile looks fine to me I think its a matter of personal taste, a good looking fountain pen.,regards Dave.

Thanks for the comment, thats made me feel a bit better about it :)

Kaideejee":2ixvr9fd said:
I really like that. I've bought one of these kits to make a pen for myself so I'm excited about it having seen your results :)

My only advise would be to get yourself a needle file if you don't already have one. As I mentioned earlier you need to make a notch at the top of the cap for the clip. Before I tried filing I broke a number of pens :(

Oh one more thing, the kits are quite sensitive to the barrel length so when trimming the barrels, don't take to much off.

Last thing I would also buy the cap fitting tool, it makes fitting the cap a breeze :)

Well that was three things ...... but I do think they are nice kits, just a bit fiddly

John

Back