new or old?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattMoore

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
At the moment im building up a set of top notch tools,
but im a little undecided as to whether to go for new or old.
i recently bought a stanley 18 block plane, and its fantastic.
it has a feel to it a new tool will never have until it is many years old itsself
but a few new tools i have bought are awesome to use, much better than an older equivalent.
so my question is this,
which do you prefer new or old and why?

I'd go for old tools if you are going the stanley route
New if you go for LN or LV.
Stanley old steel is reasonable and has more carbon in it
their newer steel doesnt hold its edge and has less carbon.
you can also change blades although some of the thicker retrofit blades will struggle to be adjustable on the stanleys.
on the older tools the cast iron has had a long time to destress and is less prone to warping.

get a copy of DC's book on plane tuning...well worth it

just my tuppence worth...

Ian

Matt
I know what you mean-old tools just have a certain magic to them.
But, as with the "power tools or hand tools" argument, I prefer to use whatever is the best for the job in hand. That means a healthy mix.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Matt,

Another vote for a mix. Some tools you just can't get secondhand or the modern versions are such a noticeable improvement that they're worth the extra. Other tools you can't get a decent one new, so old is the only option. Usually for me it boils down to cost and what old tools I happen to come across. But I do have a small ambition to gather together some of the modern classics we're currently enjoying, strictly ones to use of course, so I do buy new when I can. I look on it partly as laying down a fine port for future generations; the tool chest I bought contained some of the higher quality tools of the times and it inspired me to add to it in the same spirit I suppose.

That's my excuse... :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Old and new mix again. For me, old when agood quality new one is not around such as my recent #50

Chosen on a per tool basis. (like everybody else in the thread!)

In some cases old tools are GREAT and widely available (e.g. #050 light combo plane, firmer chisels, 30 year old #4,#5)

In some cases old tools are GREAT and rare and expensive (low angle jack plane, #212 scraper plane), so the modern remakes/inbterpretations make sense.

In some cases new tools are ... new, like the Veritas low angle spoke shave, or their remarkable shoulder planes.

BugBear

Back