New Mistery Veritas Stuff: Custom Bevel Down Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I've read so far these are custom built, but the parts don't appear to be sold individually, so comparisons will still have to be done by buying whole extra planes.

Yes, the idea of buying a base then three different frogs appeals, but that doesn't seem to be on offer initially.

Rhossydd":3442hl5z said:
From what I've read so far these are custom built, but the parts don't appear to be sold individually, so comparisons will still have to be done by buying whole extra planes.

Yes, the idea of buying a base then three different frogs appeals, but that doesn't seem to be on offer initially.

Hello,

Yes it does!

Mike.

Oh yes, found the page now, sorry my mistake.
Curious they don't offer the slow Norris adjuster as part of the configuration options.

Rhossydd":1nwsikl0 said:
Oh yes, found the page now, sorry my mistake.
Curious they don't offer the slow Norris adjuster as part of the configuration options.

Hello,

The slow Norris adjuster might be useful on the super high angle frogs, where small depth adjustment might be harder to achieve, as up and down movement becomes more significant as the blade is held closer to the vertical. Probably not essential, though and unnecessary on lower angle frogs.

Or perhaps it is just some form of workshop pet.

Mike.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 828
:D Slippers, yes! You will go to the Ball. Like I said, hideous looking Planes.

MIGNAL":1rl42a6g said:
:D Slippers, yes! You will go to the Ball. Like I said, hideous looking Planes.

Sorry mate...I felt guilty after I posted my old man's slippers comment so I deleted it...but not quick enough obviously! :oops:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jimi

The most interesting aspect of all of this is that L-V have determined there's a market for these things, that people will keep buying essentially redundant tools as long as they keep releasing new ones.

Hmmm. It seems one can now have interchangeable different-sized knobs, and a box of frogs in the workshop.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of that....

CStanford":1iw32418 said:
The most interesting aspect of all of this is that L-V have determined there's a market for these things, that people will keep buying essentially redundant tools as long as they keep releasing new ones.

I know - keeps me awake at night so-it-does.

Cheshirechappie":3i6z6c0q said:
Hmmm. It seems one can now have interchangeable different-sized knobs, and a box of frogs in the workshop.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of that....

Don't worry CC, the 'reviewers' will tell you exactly what you should make of it. Rest assured that all the usual names will pronounce it boffo.

Hello,

The whole thing is, in the main,we are already tooled up to the hilt, so these are redundant. But,if we had no planes and were buying for the first time, money aside, would we still buy a bog standard Bailey pattern when something like this is available. Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so can't blame anyone for disliking that aspect, but to be honest I don't think Bailey pattern planes are beautiful, we are jut used to how they look. An infill or nice coffin woodie would be nicer, I even prefer the simplicity of Japanese Dia. But based on performance I think these look like they cannot be bettered by what we already have on offer. I like to think that if new Handtools are produced then things cannot be too depressing, in terms of people wanting to use them, and that can only be a good thing!

I actually quite like the aesthetics, though and I'm sure the quality is second to none. Cannot understand the moaning, really.

Mike.

I think Mike (Woodbrains) may hit the nail on the head. Also, having the ability to change parts of the plane after using it a bit, may be attractive to some. I read the instructions posted on the LV site, and I'm confused as to the use of the chipbreaker (used sometimes and not at other times). Would I buy one? Probably no, however, I will spec one out and leave on the list my wife has me make for presents - probably something with a high angle frog in a 4-1/2 size.

Style-wise, they remind me of the old Stanley Gage metal planes.

Reminds me a little of Stanley's last great innovation which never seems to have made it across here.
My first thought was that if I can lose pencils on a clean bench what chance do I have with one of these. They seem designed for the inveterate fiddler - but perhaps that is a profitable market.

As various people have pointed out, excellent work was done in the 17th century. So "what's the point" of any later plane?

I'm always (in many fields) grateful to the experimentors, inventors and early adopters. They drive improvement, to the general good.

BugBear

I agree with Mike. I won't be a customer, too much attached to my romantic old ones. But look at the vast market potential among power tool users. A flashy new line of not too expensive, easy to use planes might persuade a few to part with their money.

Significant improvements on ancient tools are still possible (as evidenced by the lever axe; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4I3i36IJrY ), but some "improvements" are marginal. To me, these new planes look like definite improvements, but marginal ones. How important that margin is and how much you're willing to pay for it will always be a personal calculation and choice. Good for Veritas, let's hope they thrive and continue to foster hand tool use in all its forms and fashions.

Back