Veritas Totes... who's made their own?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosewood

Established Member
Reaction score
I have this very nice Veritas Scraper plane, but I just could not get on with its tote, it made my hand and wrist ache after a very short period of use. I eventually used it by pulling it rather than pushing it, just to avoid the tote.

By chance I discovered Veritas have kindly have provided plans for their totes and for a number of Stanley plane totes, on their website, so I decided to try my hand a tote carving.

Veritas tote plans: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=63262

Veritas%201.jpg

Veritas%202.jpg

It now feels much better in my hand, the shape is basically a Stanley #5 tote, but slightly elongated. I could see no way to include the second bolt, but it feels secure with just the one, and the casting for the second bolt stops the tote from swiveling.

It's been quite an interesting little project as I've never really thought about what makes one tote more comfortable than another, but I think the rake of the handle is really crucial.

Although I found their tote uncomfortable, I really like the handle of their saws, not that I've got anyone other companies to compare them to, but it just feels right in my hand.

It would be great to see any other custom totes for Veritas planes, has anyone tackled the plow plane yet?

Best wishes,

Chris

Very interesting Chris.

I'm sure that the reason for their uncomfortably straight back handles is the double bolt. I might have a go at one for my BU 'smoother'. Great plane, awful handle. :)

Well done - I think that is a big improvement. The Veritas handle doesn't look right to me.

Thanks Richard and rxh,

It was one of those 'couple of hours' jobs that took most of the afternoon and early evening, but it was worth the effort.

Since then I've found the Blog of Bill Rittner, who makes replacement totes for Stanley, Veritas and Lie Nielsen planes, and has documented how he goes about making them in three parts on his blog:

Part 1: http://newbritainboy.wordpress.com/2012 ... te-part-1/
Part 2: http://newbritainboy.wordpress.com/2012 ... te-part-2/
Part 3: http://newbritainboy.wordpress.com/2013 ... te-part-3/

The rest of his blog is very interesting too, I just wish I'd thought to do a bit of research before I tackled it as I would have contoured mine slightly differently now. There is always the next time, which might facilitate the excuse to purchase a cabinet makers rasp!

All the best,

Chris

Hi Mike,

They look fantastic, and I bet they feel as good in the hand as they look, thanks for sharing your photos.

Chris

I used Teak for my Record 5 1/2

I usually use what ever I have to hand Cherry, Beech etc and shape the tote with a rasp and scraper finish with Danish oil and wax.

Pete

I wonder whether the original Veritas handle was uncomfortable because it was pitched at too high an angle? I suspect that with planes (and saws) one of the contributory factors to comfort in use is keeping the hand/wrist/forearm straight and working in the same line. If you are forced by the angle of the plane's handle to cock your wrist up or down, you induce tensions in the muscles and tendons of the forearm, hastening fatigue. If everything is in line, you're more relaxed, so can work for longer.

Certainly, the replacement handle on Rosewood's scraper plane looks a much more natural and comfortable angle. Mike and Pete's handles seem to be about the same sort of angle too, which suggests it's the more natural, comfortable working angle than the higher pitch Veritas use. I suppose the angle would vary a bit depending on the height of bench you prefer, the stance you tend to adopt and so on, so one angle may not necessarily suit all woodworkers or all tasks. Horses for courses, as so often!

I happened to have the same concerns on LV BU planehandles as you had. So it was a short time of doing some experiments until I found a way to reduce the hang angle remarkably by maintaining both of the threaded rods. The secret is to bend the rods at about 10 degrees. That enables you to create a low angeled rear handle.

Here a pic of my BUS and BUJ

CIMG0804.JPG

One showing the difference by adding the original tote

CIMG0803.JPG

The replacement rods and the original ones

CIMG0805.JPG

Those are mine so far.

The last weekend a woodworker friend named Wolfgang pimped his BUJ in a very uncommon way. I'd like to share the pics here. Please note the flat sides of the plane and the apple handles he attatched to it.

59698_6.jpg

59698_2.jpg

Shooting with a LV BUJ? Why not...

59698_1.jpg

Klaus

For some reason the first 3 pics don't show up. Another attempt.

CIMG0804.JPG

Hm, I don't get it. One of the IT mysteries that happen often to me. To show pics here went well for a few years, I didn't change anything but it doesn't work currently. Sorry.

Klaus

Hi, Mike

So like me you are to tight to buy some :wink:

Copper pipe ferules its the way forward!

Pete

Back