New Mistery Veritas Stuff: Custom Bevel Down Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems the only real "custom" bit is the frog angle, and even then you have to pay extra for angles other than the 3 angles offered.

It's hardly "custom" is it?

JohnPW":gn8e1bma said:
It seems the only real "custom" bit is the frog angle, and even then you have to pay extra for angles other than the 3 angles offered.

It's hardly "custom" is it?

Then it is, custom.

Its options. Who else offers the same options as Veritas - it may be marketing or a selling point but its options for people who want them. I'd rather have them than not.

Fromey":qxz7vldo said:
I've got a custom plane being made for me by Philly Planes. I don't see what all the fuss is about.

Now THAT'S worth a thread all on it's own...! 8)

Do show and tell....

That's where I'd put me hard earned shekels if I needed another one...or the Antipodes...I hear they have some great custom makers in that neck of the woods too! :wink:

Just read the instructions for the new custom planes and I'm a bit baffled :? Under 'cap iron setting', they say:

"The cap iron is used when planing either reversing grain or wood that is prone to tear out (eg when smoothing hardwoods). For other operations, such as flattening and jointing, the plane is used without the cap iron."

Can this be right? Does it mean what it appears to mean, ie that you have to remove or attach the cap iron depending on what you are planing?

Veritas instructions are usually excellent but this seems very confusing.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The design looks a lot like the new Stanley Sweetheart to me, with its short irons and adjustable mouths. Seems unusual that Veritas is "copying" them

J_SAMa":2649sxrb said:
The design looks a lot like the new Stanley Sweetheart to me, with its short irons and adjustable mouths. Seems unusual that Veritas is "copying" them

Veritas had adjustable mouths way before the modern Stanley Sweetheart design. Comparisons wree drawn with the Marples #X04.

BugBear

Beautiful - I want the whole set.

So let me see: five sizes, each with 3 (standard) frogs, that makes 15 planes;
each with two different totes, that makes 30 planes;
each with 3 different knobs, that makes 90 planes;
each with 2 different irons - only 180 planes to collect.

HONEY ! We're selling the house.... :mrgreen:

But seriously. I think I like them better that Veritas's existing BD planes, and I think it's a great idea, but I don't feel the need to rush out to buy any, anytime soon (let alone all 180 variations #-o ). For someone starting out, and with the finance to afford one or two, they're probably offer a degree of versatility not found outside of the high end makers ranges. Good on Veritas for developing the concept =D>

Cheers, Vann.

+1 Vann

I have 3 of the LABU range which I love, so likewise will not be rushing out to buy.

Rod

Hello,

For experimenters in planing performance, these will be brilliant! Exact comparisons of cutter performance has always come down to a lot of conjecture, due to lack of parity from plane to plane. These could give us some real evidence as to how cutters perform under different circumstances, since for the first time we have a universal body that can plane with or without a cap iron, with fine or open mouths, achieved with a SIMPLE adjustment, and many variations on pitch from interchangeable frogs. Anyone wanting to test and document the results would have a useful resource of data, which could be much more relevant than some of the recent scientific studies we have been offered.

Since I have too many tools already, I cannot justify owning one of these. I am seriously considering offloading some of my tools to make space for one, though. I think the idea is great. I was never totally happy with the line of BU planes, since making a low bedded plane to achieve a high EP by sharpening the blade with a high bevel, always seemed a bit contradictory to me. These new planes are a much better solution, and if I was tooling up for the first time, I would be buying these.

Mike.

Back