UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotorhead

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to introduce myself and I hope that I have chosen the correct forum. I am a long time woodworker who took a very long break with my military service and raising a family. I decided a couple of years ago to get back to my hobby and it truly feels good to be back making furniture. I live in Michigan with my lovely wife of 30 years and I have 2 great children. I have a son who just graduated high school and a daughter who is in her final year of residency at the local hospital. I have no favorite type of furniture that I make but I do work mostly with walnut and maple. As a matter of fact I just recently acquired 2000bf of beautiful black walnut lumber that was cut in 1970 and then stored until I bought it a month ago. It may seem like a lot to buy but for $200 I could not pass it up. I joined this site with the hopes of getting different perspectives and advice from all that I can. I will get around to posting some pictures of my shop in the near future and I look forward to talking with as many people as possible. If their is ever anything I can do for someone from my end please do not hesitate to ask. Sincerely, William Frarey

Welcome to the forum William, putting your general location in your profile will help with relevant responses to any of your posts.

Hi, I just set my profile as I forgot to do it. I live in Dewitt, MI. I am very excited to meet other woodworkers on the site. William

Hello William

Nice introduction , And a warm welcome to the forum , look forward to seeing some of your work :mrgreen:

2000 BF for $200 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I would need to win the lotto to buy that in the UK

Allen :wink:

Hello Allen, It was a deal that I could not pass up. I also had to purchase 1500bf of white oak to get the walnut that I wanted. Nobody was bidding at the sale and the owners son asked if I could give $300 for the oak and walnut combined just to get it out. I ended up selling all of the oak as it is not something that I would use. I ended up making enough off of that alone to help with the purchase of a couple of new shop tools plus it paid for the walnut. I am driving to a town this weekend to look at a stack of butternut that a lady wants to sell. I have seen some of the prices that you guys have to pay for lumber and it makes ma count my blessings. Sorry to ramble on. It is very good to meet you and I hope that we talk again. Sincerely, William :D

2000bf of beautiful black walnut lumber that was cut in 1970 and then stored until I bought it a month ago. It may seem like a lot to buy but for $200

lucky git
:lol:

welcome

adidat

Welcome William , near neighbour to you as I am in the area of Lake Huron near Kincardine... a stones throw by Canuck standards. I have many foggy memories of a place called Mickey Rat's from your neck of the woods. They served huge draughts and many marveled at the capacity of we wildmen of the north. Ah , to be young again. You are gonna love our little group of wood miesters , great folk. Many bona fida experts as well as new to the obsession types. Enjoy amigo , it is wood shaper heaven here.

Rotorhead":2uq7de56 said:
Hello Allen, It was a deal that I could not pass up. I also had to purchase 1500bf of white oak to get the walnut that I wanted. Nobody was bidding at the sale and the owners son asked if I could give $300 for the oak and walnut combined just to get it out. I ended up selling all of the oak as it is not something that I would use. I ended up making enough off of that alone to help with the purchase of a couple of new shop tools plus it paid for the walnut. I am driving to a town this weekend to look at a stack of butternut that a lady wants to sell. I have seen some of the prices that you guys have to pay for lumber and it makes ma count my blessings. Sorry to ramble on. It is very good to meet you and I hope that we talk again. Sincerely, William :D

William :lol:

Next you will be telling me they paid you to take it away :mrgreen:

Butternut ? will have to look that one up , new to me is it dark or light lumber :mrgreen:

hi there

google tells me its called white walnut, a member of the walnut family.

adidat

Hello, I want to say thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I had to brag about my lumber purchase but in reality it was just luck that the gentlemens sons were not in to wood working and thought that it was "just some old wood". As to the butternut it is in the walnut family and it has a almost creamy color and it is great to machine and stain. As to Lanemaux yes I remember that bar and they did serve their draught beer in what can only be described as a barell for a glass. I think that my wife would like to forget about it though. It may have something to do with the late night rides home for my friends and myself :x . I can see that I will have a great time here and I hope that I can someday meet some of my closer neighbors to the north. Sincerely, William

Hi Dibs, thanks for the welcome. I think that dumb luck was just finally on my side :shock: . When I get something like that I wish that could share it with as many people as possible. I gave 40bf to a gentleman that bought my Makita planer as he was new to woodworking and I feel that if I had good fortune that I should share what I can. On a side note my wife and I are hoping that we can make a trip over next year as I still have a couple of Uncles that are not getting any younger and I would really love to see them. Hopefully I can arrange to meet some fellow woodworkers while we are there. Well it's time for work now so I whttps://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/pos ... =47730#ill sign off and talk to everyone tomorrow. Sincerely, William

Back