new member with info to share.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys & girls,
My name is Chuck. Bob Hamilton gave me a link to this forum he thought you would like 2 PDF files I could share with you.

The first one is how to turn a ring bowl. A ring bowl is for women to put their rings, bracelets, watches etc...

these bowls are made from Bubinga & Ebony finial. Here is a pic of it.

Click pic for full size.

The next one is two different types of homemade articulating hollowing tools with homemade boring bars to hollow the stock.

Here is a pic of the first one with attached laser system.

click pic for full size.

Here is the second one it it held to the tailstock by a MT2 taper & drawbar.

If the Admin would like me to give the forum the PDF files. Please let me know How I should do it. I can send them by e-mail or ???

Hello Chuck and welcome :D
Usually you have to post a few posts before any piccys show,but i can see them now.
Looks interesting.Lovely finish on the ring bowls :shock:

Thank you for the welcome guys.

I kind of messed up & hit the post 2 times sorry for the double post. The first time I couldn't see the pics it said "report to moderator that was the reason for the second post. then the pics magically appeared.

The finish of the ring bowls are 5 coats of poly with lightly sanded between the first 3 coats. Each coat was left to dry for 24 hrs before the next coat was applied.

As I stated Bob Hamilton gave me a link to this web site for some box that he shipped to the UK cause he saw a post I did where I shipped a big box of stuff (with a ring bowl inside) to a friend in Ireland. & he thought you guys might like the PDF files on making the ring bowls & both articulating hollowing tools. All I need to share the info is for the Admin to tell me how to do it. I can e-mail them to anybody or ???

Not sure how it is you do that... but maybe a PM to a Moderator ( try user DaveL .. ), will sort it out for you .

There's a 'spam-trap' that stops the pics and results in the "report to Moderator" message, until you've 3 posts, but you've figured that one out already ! ( and its sorted ! )

HTH 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Absolutely splendid and thanks for showing them, but sadly I dare'nt make one, otherwise I would have to buy rings, and that can be COSTLY. :lol:

Rich.

Welcome Chuck. Do you have your PDF files hosted on the web somewhere?

If so I'm sure it's fine for you to post a link to them.

If you don't have them hosted then send me a PM and I'll place them on my website for you.

Both projects look really good! ;)

00020121.gif

Lovely finish on those ring bowls. Well done =D> =D>

Richard

Welcome aboard Chuck. Nice to see some more of our cousins from over the water joining us. Saves me going across there looking for ideas :twisted: :twisted: :wink: .

Absolutely gorgeous finish on the pieces. Lot of folks this side of the pond don't go for a shiny finish, personally I think it depends on the type of wood that should dictate the type of finish to use. You scored top marks with those bowls.

Picked up the idea of the rig and made one a few weeks ago, got up the idea from Wayne Bowers on the 'Family site'. Don't know the guy, but he got my curiosity up with his thread.

My rig. Works very well, although I don't have anything to compare it with. In the past I always used normal hand tools. Have yet to still make the laser guide for it, am half way there but things keep cropping up.

I made two tool carriers for mine, one with a 1/2" hole, and the other with a 5/8" hole. I decided it was easier to turn down a 3/4" bar end to 5/8" fit, rather than having a third carrier. So I now use 1/2" - 5/8" and 3/4" hollowing bars. Can never see me having any reason to go any bigger.

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread Chuck. :oops: :oops: Certainly didn't mean to. Thoughtless is my middle name! :roll:

Welcome Chuck,to the forum.
I like your bowls, I hope SWMBO don't damage the shine when she throws all her diamond rings into it.
The hollowing tool interests me greatly as I'm into making my own tools,
particularly expensive to buy ones.
You don't have your location posted, where are you from? Same as Bob or are you south of the border. :lol: :lol: :lol:

John. B

Welcome Chuck, nice job on the ring Bowls, hope you can send on more of your work always nice to see different ideas. REgards Boysie

Hey TEP I printed you designs off and gave them to my metal head
friend & he is knocking me one up if you have any measurements
you could share it would be greatly appreciated ...Thanks for the Idea..

Welcome to the forum recon the ring bowls look fantastic
but the finish is too good for rings..lol
Look forward to seeing more of your work....

Not my idea H-B.

Don't want to pinch this thread. Will put up another soon with my measurements and so on. My idea came from over the pond as I said before. Chuck will hopefully have his up soon so you could download his.

Thank you again for the welcome.

I'm sorry this is the web site that Bob Hamilton & I belong to.
http://www.woodturnersresource.com/cgi- ... b2/YaBB.pl check it out were always looking for new members & friends especially from our cousins across the pond.

The whole reason for making the ring bowl tutorial was on the forum I belong to we have what we call challenges & trades where we each make a item & send it to someone & you get something from someone. also we trade different local woods. I always felt bad for a friend I talk to in Ireland cause he couldn't participate due to the mailing costs & customs of the UK & the USA. So when he asked me to do kind of a tutorial I did one & without him knowing it I sent him enough wood for him too make 2 bowls & a bunch of other woods. I also sent him the bowl from the tutorial. It's always easier for me if I can see it a pic is nice but to have it in my hands I can really understand how something was made.

Wizer I don't have a web site I can e-mail them both to you if you could host them so the other members could get the info I would appreciate it.

Tep,
Wayne Bower & I belong to the same forum I got half of the info from him. I do have his PDF file with drawing & dimensions listed. Although it is in standard not metric. I'll send this also to Wizer. I love your snake idea very cool. Don't start a new thread on my account just continue with this one. it's about the same subject anyway.

John,
I made 5 of them one of them a customer of mine bought (sorry, I'm a mailman or postman) the other 4 were Christmas gifts.

Chuck

Tep,
Here something to think about. My friend that made his version (the first pic) his boring bars go in to a depth of 2", he had his machinist friend make 2 sleeves in 5/8" & 1/2" with a slot cut in them. The inside diameter of the bar that holds the boring bars is 3/4"

The reason is instead of changing the square steel & undoing the nuts & bolts every time you want to change bars he had his machinist friend make 2 sleeves in each of the sizes. When you want to change from a 5/8" to a 1/2" boring bar you just put in the 1/2" SLEEVE & THE BAR JUST SLIDES RIGHT IN. The outside diameter of the sleeves is 3/4" the inside diameter of the sleeves is 5/8" & 1/2" the slot is for the set screws they go through the sleeve to lock against the boring bar this keeps them all one unit. It saves a bunch of time & aggravation instead of changing as you call it carriers you just change sleeves.

Something to think about..

welcome.gif
to the Forum Chuck, increased input from across the pond is very welcome as it gives a different perspective on this fascinating, simple looking craft/hobby with so many very complex hidden variations.

Latest posts

Back