New Member - Uncle Spanky

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Spanky

Reaction score
Hello -

I'm a new member to the forum. I've been woodworking for the past three years now, and I live in Dallas TX, but I'm originally from Alton, Hants. I immigrated about 25 years ago, but the ol' satellite system keeps me up to date with things back home.

I'm mainly interested in early American furniture styles, Chippendale, etc. and my next big project will be a reproduction of a Highboy (a la New Yankee Workshop plans) using curly maple.

If I can answer any questions from this side of the pond, let me know. Bear in mind that we're still using the imperial system here (what ? :oops: ) but that's just the way things are. Can anyone help me subtract 7 3/8 from 13 5/32, and then find the midpoint of the piece :p lol.

Thanks all...

Spanky

Uncle S

Welcome to the forum.

You'll have to excuse the youngsters who arn't familiar with imperial, although Tony should know cos he's older than grass :lol: :lol:

Welcome to the forum Uncle S

Lots of knowledgible people on here and a more polite & friendly bunch you'd be hard put to find on any other forum. (I know I've joined and left more than I dare say, all of the non woody variety :) )

As it happens I've always considered halving a dimension to be easier in Imperial than in Metric - You just double the denominator. (Half of 7/8 becomes 7/16 easy :lol: :lol: )

But, in the example you quoted, the subtraction of two parameters with different denominators is one reasons why the Europeans gave Imperal system the heave ho centries ago. :)

Uncle Spanky":198hqqjr said:
Hello -

I'm a new member to the forum. I've been woodworking for the past three years now, and I live in Dallas TX, but I'm originally from Alton, Hants. I immigrated about 25 years ago, but the ol' satellite system keeps me up to date with things back home.

I'm mainly interested in early American furniture styles, Chippendale, etc. and my next big project will be a reproduction of a Highboy (a la New Yankee Workshop plans) using curly maple.

If I can answer any questions from this side of the pond, let me know. Bear in mind that we're still using the imperial system here (what ? :oops: ) but that's just the way things are. Can anyone help me subtract 7 3/8 from 13 5/32, and then find the midpoint of the piece :p lol.

Thanks all...

Spanky

throw the 5/32 to one side,

subtract 7 3/8 from 13 =5 5/8

5 5/8 =(5 20/32) + 5/32 = 5 25/32(5 50/64)
5 50/64 d x 2 =2 57/64. (64/64+50/64=114/64 dx2 =57/64 +2")

i did this in my head & had to think about it ---but on paper should be easier.

via calculator.--
1/8=0.125"
1/16=0.625"
1/32=0.03125"
1/64=0.015625

7 3/8=7.375// 13 5/32 =13.15625
13.15625 -7.375=5.78125 dx2=2.890625.(.890625 d x 0.015625=57)

look no further than here for reference charts
http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/cat ... 1&Mode=REF

regards

Hi Spanky & welcome

Shivers I can't believe I just sat and went thro' your calculations and couldn't fault it ...take a v.good and put it in the box. must get a life, must get a life, repeat, repeat

Alan

Woody Alan":5ugnel6h said:
Hi Spanky & welcome

Shivers I can't believe I just sat and went thro' your calculations and couldn't fault it ...take a v.good and put it in the box. must get a life, must get a life, repeat, repeat

Alan
i'm outta practice--haven't done it for 3 yrs --so i needed the exercise,get those starrett charts --they really get you attuned.

cheers.

i

I'm another one who checked your calcs, shivers, spot on, although I did it slightly differently. It nice to know the old grey cells are still working.

Welcome Uncle Spanky.

Thanks all for your welcome messages... :)

RainMan alert for Shivers...wow...very sharp.

I picked up the name from the old "Our Gang" movies from the 30's and it kinda stuck. I even had a cat I called Spanky...imagine calling him in each night at the back door..."SPANKY..." The neighbors must have thought we were sex crazy :roll:

Here's a photo of the little kid "Spanky" that appeared in the Our Gang movies...he's holding the camera...

Spanky.jpg

Cheers...

Hi Uncle S,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Your link has been caught by our spamulator as your still a newbe. :roll:
Here it is:

Spanky.jpg

hi uncle sp**ky
some one will be along in a bit who will help you choose a proper user name :lol:
cheers
mel

Hi Uncle S, welcome to the forum. By coincidence, I caught the New Yankee workshop show this morning where Norm made the High Boy. The S-shaped moulding he made for the bonnet looks like it will be pretty challenging to make...good luck with the project.

Back