New member, progress and finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipfatbob

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a new member and relatively new to woodturning (about 3 months). I recently tried my hand at burr elm and below is the result. This piece has now received 3 coats of chestnut finishing oil and although I am pleased with the result, I feel it needs something else to finish it completely.

Please give me your opinions of how I have done so far and suggest how I might conclude the piece.

Thanks

Jon

burrop9.jpg

chipfatbob":1pz28tio said:

Welcome to the forum Jon, I don't know how long you have waited between coats of finishing oil and subsequent buffing, but if you want more 'gloss' on the finish I would just be tempted to wait awhile for the oils to harden and rebuff, I have even done this after 6 months with dramatic results.

You could of course apply some Webwax22 for more shine, but this rather defeats the use of oil in the first place and wax trapped in the burr may be obtrusive when dried.

If you want a more mat look then cut back existing glaze with some fine Nyweb/Webrax.

Finishing Oil normally gives a semi sheen look if left to its own devices, which is what you appear to have.

Spectacular piece of Burr Elm and a good execution of the platter.

By the way the "Report to Moderator" caption will go away after a few posts, just the spam trap doing its thing.

Hi Jon,

Welcome to the forum.:D

Your picture has been caught by our spam trap, this will stop happening once you have a few more posts to your name
burrop9.jpg

That looks one very nice piece of work, I will let one of our turning members comment on any improvements that may be possible.
Doh, beaten by Chas, must type faster. :oops:

Hi Jon, and welcome to the forum.
That's a nice platter you've made, and a lovely piece of wood. :wink:

Hello and welcome :D

Nice platter,and I like the finish as it is.Shows the beauty of the timber without overpowering it.
As already said,if you want it glossier,then a couple more coats should do nicely (left to dry properly between coats,which may,of course,take longer at the moment,depending where the piece is kept)

Andrew

Hello Jon and welcome :D
That is one beautiful piece of wood that looks to be finished lovely.
Love the colour.I would just leave it as is.
How big is it :?:
Paul.J.

Gents,

Thanks for the feedback. It measures about 12 inches across and it was a blank I bought from Aura/Devon woodturning. I get a huge kick from doing this but my technique is still very green as I am self taught and I crave information to help me improve. Below are a couple of additional shots of the platter. you will note that I turned the whole project on a faceplate. this is because I have not yet invested in a decent chuck! (going to use the Christmas excuse to spend furiously!). What are your feelings about filling in the smaller burrs? if so, what could I use?

frontqz3.jpg

backtc2.jpg

sideln2.jpg

chipfatbob":266d8rz8 said:
Gents,

Thanks for the feedback. It measures about 12 inches across and it was a blank I bought from Aura/Devon woodturning. I get a huge kick from doing this but my technique is still very green as I am self taught and I crave information to help me improve. Below are a couple of additional shots of the platter. you will note that I turned the whole project on a faceplate. this is because I have not yet invested in a decent chuck! (going to use the Christmas excuse to spend furiously!). What are your feelings about filling in the smaller burrs? if so, what could I use?

frontqz3.jpg

backtc2.jpg

sideln2.jpg

Here's your pictures,until you make another post (I think the spamware wears off at 3 posts)
As for the burrs - leave them,it's part of the beauty :D

Andrew

Welcome to the forum 8)

Love that piece of wood its amazing

Its your platter , but if it was me , I would not fill the burr

Well done with the shape and finish

There are lots of clips on youtube about woodturning and all Free :wink:

Just to be different, I think I would fill :) . Liberon do a range of hard wax fillers which you can match to the timber (or contrast if you prefer).
And why be apologetic about using a faceplate rather than spending lots on a chuck? You can always fill the screwholes, or plug in contrasting/matching colour if you want, but on the adage that "form follows function", what's wrong with tidied up screwholes?

Latest posts

Back