New lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tapemonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Looking to get my first lathe. I want something that will last and not need upgrading quickly. Wish list is a swivel headstock and variable speed. My budget is around the £1000 mark (lathe only, tools etc. extra). Done a lot of looking around and was thinking of the Record Power CL4. What is peoples experience of this machine as there seems to be a question mark over build quality.

Anyone got any other machines that would do the trick?

Thanks.

I have only limited knowledge but have recently undergone the shop around. The record is liked by a lot of people. Main drawback is the modest clearance over the bed. It is ok doing rotated work but when the wood is out of round and ready to be roughed the vibration limits use.

If you are going to be doing larger items than the Jet 1442 is good from the perspective that it is an all cast iron machine bed and legs which will soak up vibration better that the Record as supplied. The 1442 does not have the variable speed. To get the variable speed version 1642 it would bust your budget. The outcome of my personal shopping expedition is that I am awaiting delivery of the 1642, however, I placed my order before the obscene price increases of January.

It does depend so much on what you intend to turn.

I owned a CL4 until recently. I would say it`s a pretty good bet for the money. Unless (or until) you want to turn large, out of balance pieces regularly it will turn just about anything the average hobby turner would want. The electronic variable speed is definitely worth having - I don`t think there is anything else on the market which offers this feature at a comparable price. The tradeoff is that the lathe`s design is a bit old fashioned (or well proven if you like!). I didn`t like the stand much - I think it`s being offered as an optional extra at the moment. Either beef it up with some additional ballast or make a heavier duty one yourself.
Hope this helps.

Ian

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go for the CL4 as I have not been able to find an alternative for the same money. I am sure it will do me for the foreseeable future. I'll just have to take a chance on build quiality.

Hi,
Have you looked at the Axminster AWVSWL1200, a few guys on here have it and it seems a lot of lathe for the money (ordering mine next month) if your a member of a woodturning club they might have a discount scheme?
Regards Chris.

I have a CL4 an as an amatuer hobbist I have been delighted with it.

I hope you are equally as pleased

Steve

Ive owned my CL4 for about 2 month's now & im very pleased with it the stand is a bit flimsy to say the least i managed to find it second hand but was looked after, The variable control unit on mine seem's totally different to what ive seen being sold as it has a digital readout for the speed.
Hope your has happy as i am with mine.
Cheer's Ron.

Picked up the lathe last Friday morning. Had a few issues which have now been sorted out so hope to get a bit of turning done tomorrow.

So just over a month with the CL4 and I am pleased with the choice I made. I think as mentioned above the stand could be a bit more substantial, but it works. I think for the money and looking at the competition, it is a bout the best. Only my opinion of course... :D

Back