New lathe choice - Axy 900 or otherwise?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterSk

Established Member
Reaction score
Having had the Clarke lathe for about four days it's already clear that it's a pile of rubbish, so I think I'll bite the bullet and buy a proper lathe.

I'm liking the look of the Axminster AWVSL900, it's a cast iron bed, 2MT tapers on either end and a rotating headstock for bowls which hits all my desires.

Before I take the plunge can anyone suggest anything better/worth considering?

Hi

Its a starting point , mechanical speed change , only 550w power motor

But as with most things in life , The more you pay the better it is

will your chuck fit ?

A friend of mine has just taken delivery of an Axminster AWVSL 1000, and that looks to be a very decent lathe for the price (£266 inc VAT & delivery). It's heavy and solid and has a 3/4 HP motor plus the headstock can be slid along the bed & rotated.

Kym

Peter,

I did exactly the same as you. I had a clarke for about two weeks (no - the extra time did not reveal any hidden redeaming features) and got rid of it to buy an Ax 900. I was very happy with mine and only sold it as someone at the club was selling his Vicmarc at a very good price.

(I had the clarke with the single tube lathe bed - I did think about removing the tube and mounting a faceplate with a 300mm sanding disc on and then building a table to turn it into a bench disc sander).

So, yes go for it!

Mine's got two bits of square section, however they seem to be made of cheese rather than the more appropriate steel, as the headstock bends backwards by about 10degrees once you've tightened the tailstock. I've spent most of my time cutting spirals and rather failing to cut anything flat.

@tekno.mage - I didn't realise that the 1000's headstock rotated as well. In that case I'll get that one, as the bigger motor is probably of some use and the only reason I'd ruled it out is that Axy don't list that as a feature of that lathe

yep - I agree with TKM - I had a 900 for years and they arent bad, but the 1000 will be better.

that said i also agree with blister that better lathes are available but i do recall you saying that space was an issue

(btw i havent forgotten about the volunteer info, i'll send it over next week - its just that ive just been to cornwall on holiday for a week. Also ive tracked down my keith rowley book - its currently with olly (OPJ) but when i get it back from him if you still want to borrow it you'd be most welcome.)

I'd also add - seeing as you were at miles' bash that his lathe (the yellow one not my big viceroy) is a clone of the Axy M900

It's a combination of space and money, although I've just gained a bit of workshop space the cash is really the most pressing point. I've always got an eye on eBay for something suitable, but most stuff is either tat, too expensive for me or too far away to be a worthwhile purchase.

After today's event I'm pretty much sold on the Axy 1000, I took a good look at miles' Perform and it ticks all my boxes, so the 1000 should be a good bet for the larger motor, as even I found that turning things of the size I want to turn on marc's little 1/2hp lathe whilst possible certainly isn't ideal

Back