New(ish) Axminster lathe - anybody tried it yet?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dust Busker":p3pheeu7 said:
Has anybody tried out the new Axminster AW1416VS lathe?

Would welcome comments or views if members have bought or used one.

Mod Edit: lathe link url ammended.

Hi Jim

Not seen this one before , no mention that I can see on the motor power output ?

and what does this mean ? " Versatile magnetic switch unit for optimum positioning " ?? :?

Looks like a capable machine , 14" over the bed , variable speed with reverse , OK if you are limited on space

:deer :ho2 :deer

Hi Allen

The motor is 560w (3/4 HP, I think). I suppose the magnetic switch unit has magnets on the back of the switch unit so that you can position it at different locations on the machine. This is standard on lathe like the Vicmarc 175 and 300 series. The Axi lathe also has an M33 x 3.5 spindle and 600mm extension bed is available. Looks to me like an excellent benchtop machine.

Looks a good little lathe.

The led display made me smile......it looks as though you have to walk round to the back of the lathe to see it :) It would good in a demo as the audience wouldn't have to ask what speed :lol:

Mark

Mark Hancock":1hdp36np said:

The led display made me smile......it looks as though you have to walk round to the back of the lathe to see it :) It would good in a demo as the audience wouldn't have to ask what speed :lol:

Mark

Mark

The speed LED is at the front to the left of the ON / OFF switch

The item at the back of the lathe is the inverter box

Dust Busker":1ass0rd9 said:
Hi Allen

The motor is 560w (3/4 HP, I think). I suppose the magnetic switch unit has magnets on the back of the switch unit so that you can position it at different locations on the machine. This is standard on lathe like the Vicmarc 175 and 300 series. The Axi lathe also has an M33 x 3.5 spindle and 600mm extension bed is available. Looks to me like an excellent benchtop machine.

So is that how they say " magnetic control box " silly me #-o

Blister":1dd0rcqv said:
Mark Hancock":1dd0rcqv said:

Mark

Mark

The speed LED is at the front to the left of the ON / OFF switch

The item at the back of the lathe is the inverter box

I need my eyes testing :oops:

Blister":2k9lv8bg said:
Dust Busker":2k9lv8bg said:
Hi Allen

So is that how they say " magnetic control box " silly me #-o

Which version would you like in the manual :lol:

As philb88 said it is similar to the vari-speed benchtop lathe from jet which I bought a few weeks ago and am very pleased with. The new Axi model has slightly larger capacity and has a proper inverter to control the motor for only £50 more. Should be popular - in fact Axi have sold out already!

Brian

Looks like a good little lathe,
I dont know if you realise but Axminster have a scheme where woodturning clubs can register with them and get a 15% discount from anything in the woodturning section of their catalog.
This would give you a saving of about £70 00 on this lathe.
You have to spend at least £200 00 pounds with each order and every order has to have only one delivery address.
Having done a lot of business with Axminster tools i think their service is second to none.

Regards Georgeir

Back