New home for my woodturning....update 9.12.10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
The old 8x12 shed is a bit lean on space and having a wooden floor, not ideal. So new premises are required :D

Now, I may be losing the plot aswell as biting off more than I can chew but over the comming months I shall be sorting out my new workshop.........its underground :shock:
Its a very old cellar from an old workhouse, the building above is long gone and apparently this is were they used to lay out the bodies of those who passed away :shock: I shall be spending every Wednesday doing this until its done, so its going to be quite a long project.........

This is how it looked yesterday morning,one of those 'Am I really doing this' moments...... Click for bigger pics.
As you can see a spot of clearing up to be done.

From inside

After a days work digging a slope down for accsess and clearing down to find the floor...

Its going to take another good day to clear before any work can be done on it.Then I need to build a wall and proper entrance with a concrete ramp for getting machinery in and out,concrete the floor and render the inside.I may post a picture now and then of the progress if anyone is interested.
I know this isn't woodturning but it is for woodturning and I posted it here because its you lot I know and wanted to show :D

JT

This is very interesting.

Could you give us some dimensions please?

Also, how are you going to deal with damp and water ingress?

Brendan

Is there any power down there or will you be using a jenny?
I think it will look very authentic when it's done.
Well done and good luck.
Steve.

Interesting project johnny, oh for the opportunity to have ready access to similar workroom volume.

As has been mentioned I would think damp control may be your main task, what sort of overhead cover does it have, concrete slab or just open ground/rubble?

Brendan, I can't give you dimentions because as yet it has not occurred to me to measure it :oops: it is large though :lol:
As for damp, its not that bad down there but for proper dryness its getting a membrane under the concrete floor which will then get a painting with waterproof stuff(can't remember what its called) and a waterproof render again painted and then some form of one end to the other ventilation.

Steve it will be getting plumbed into the mains :)

Chas, above ground has a concrete constructed shed and a gravel area that has had a thick membrane layed underneath.

This is by far the biggest,craziest project I have done but as with all things a little bit at a time gets it done in the end(and a trustly FIL with much more building knowledge than me)

cheers JT

Thanks Johnny,

I am really looking forward to seeing this project develop. If it's any encouragement - my uncle's house had an underground bomb shelter in the yard that I played in as a child and watched my own children play there too. It was always very dry and a great refuge in storms so, if you get the water issue sorted you should be good from there on. I would certainly have a go at this myself in similar circumstances.

Good luck with the project.

Brendan

Johnny,
Rather you than me!!!!!!
I would be always looking over my shoulder to see if any of the layed out bodys had come back to see what all the noise was about :wink:

You will have to use SPIRIT stains to colour the turnings :lol:

Good luck with your project It will make a good workshop.

Dermot.

johnny.t.":djt4bqzc said:
Cheers Green 8)

TheTiddles":djt4bqzc said:
Is this a commercial letting or do you happen to have a very large garden?

No and no :lol: I've acquired this.

Johnny

Hope you have a legal title to this land

I would hate to see someone lay claim to it after you have done all the work

Look great and heating should be relatively low cost :p

Thanks Brendan 8)

Dermot, no doubt I'll be glancing over my shoulder with fear at every small noise when I'm in there :shock: :lol: :lol:

Blister, its all mine,so no worries there :wink:

JT

Wow what can I say except I'm jealous of your workshop
already...Will it be easy to run power to you what can we call it
tunnel, bomb shelter or bridge.. :lol:

Hi Johnny

What a great project. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Just the sort of thing I would have liked to do when I was younger.
At the end I think you will have a great sense of achievement and a workshop thats one-of-a-kind.
Please keep us posted as you proceed.

Regards,

Mike C

H&B I call it the batcave :lol: :lol:

Matt water shouldn't be a problem from ground level ,theres not really anywhere for it to run from to cause a problem.

Thanks Paul and Mike :D It should end up pretty good but its just going to take a lot of work.

JT

Hi Johnny,
Well thats a project and a half but I'm sure with time you will have a magnificent workshop.
Considering the previous use as a mortuary it will certainly be cool but maybe chilling.
So what will the workshop be called erm "Tomb Turners" or "Crypt Creations"
Just my mind running riot.
Looking forward to seeing the progress.
Best wishes with the project,
Ian

What does the rest of the plot look like then? I'd be terrified of putting anything steel in what could easily become a sewer...

Aidan

Latest posts

Back