New development in scraper planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Chapman

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are interested in scraper planes, this new development looks like it might be good. It's only in prototype at the moment but those who have tried it seem to like it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

newt":2fsk3lnp said:
Paul, something else for me to try and make, perhaps.

From what I've seen of your stuff, I reckon you could :D I have the earlier Veritas scraper insert referred to in the Chris Schwarz article. It is not good at all - one of the few Veritas tools that is disappointing. Next time I'm down I'll bring it with me and you can see why it doesn't work very well. This new insert seems excellent - similar to what you would get in a proper scraper plane and with some improvements as well. I was thinking of getting a scraper plane sometime but I think I'll wait and see what this new insert is like.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I have the earlier Veritas scraper insert referred to in the Chris Schwarz article. It is not good at all - one of the few Veritas tools that is disappointing

Ironically Paul, the Veritas insert was also designed by Paul Hamler. From what I can gather, he decided to give the concept another go.

Regards

Derek

Paul - I had that Veritas insert for a No4 and like you, I found it didn't work very well at all :cry:, this one looks a bit more substantial - Rob

I got one of those and found it worked very well-maybe I did not read the instructions very well....I then went on to make two blades of different thickness to experiment with and became more happy. I scraped some African Blackwood, Iroko, Afzelia and some fortified pine made here in New Z. I don't know why folk are agin the device....

Back