New (?) chuck at Rutlands

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow...that looks very handy if it really works. Jaw changes in 30 seconds!! Think how much you'd save on redundant chucks because you can't be pineappled to screw on your cole jaws etc

Just saw the email myself I have fancied one since they came out but I think a bit over priced.But strangely enough the Rutlands price is cheaper than Easy are selling for in the States.
Alan

Not just the price of the chuck though, though a set of dovetail jaws come with it others are £60+ and £90+ and there doesn't seem to be much choice.

Still, looks interesting.

Some interesting innovations but I bet you need to keep it very clean to ensure that the click-lock on the jaws engages properly. Compressed sanding dust could surely compromise the hold couldn't it? ... and then what?

I'll stick to my Axi chuck with separate jaw carriers thank you. Maybe slightly slower but the worst that could happen is it gets a bit stiff.

More choice of jaws, cheaper and no chance of a bit of sanding dust giving me cause for concern.

Jon

Hi

I first saw this system a few months ago - advertised by Teknatool. I don't think I'll be going for it, I prefer the tried and tested method of screwing adaptors to the jaws.

Interestingly Teknatool have a product recall in place at the moment!!

http://www.novainfinitychuck.com/

Regards Mick

Have been tempted but like their tools very expensive . After all how long does it take to change a set of jaws ??. a big price for the convenience if you are already kitted out as I am .
Bill W.

This a classic example of a new innovation. People are nervous and mistrusting. They assume it won't work as advertised and want to stick with what they know. The tool is expensive as the supplier wants to recoup their investment and its not yet crossed the chasm into mass market. All of which are perfectly normal and valid responses. It will be interesting to see how it's received over the coming two years or so....perhaps it will prove to be really great and then the chuck market go in that direction. Watching with interest. For now though it does seem very expensive and the risks associated with it gumming up and stopping working well seem reasonable to me.

Not impressed with this or other attempts at quick jaw change systems that are emerging.

Already seeing production problems from corner cutting with the increased high quality control standards needed in production (heat treatments etc.) in some incarnations.

The 'Standard Jaw Carrier' design has been around for many years (hundreds ?) in engineering, both in 3 & 4 Jaw, self centring and independent versions, if there was anywhere where this pattern would have been dropped for the sake of a better design it is there.

I am always in the KISS camp when it comes to tooling, and prefer to concentrate on production methods to save time and effort rather than spending excess money for something new and shinny with very limited flexibility regarding attached accessories that drives me towards working within the limits of the system rather than me deciding on an easy work around based on tried and tested methods.

Just hope the various systems are not around long enough for clone components to appear from the less well regulated production sources. One can always see wear and tear and throw a component away that is poor quality, you don't always get the chance if it can be subject to catastrophic failure.

Back