new charnwood 10" table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellow_lamborghini_2406

Established Member
Reaction score
just had a email about it do you all think it will be any good and how noisy is a belt driven motor because i was just thinking of getting a better table saw

Hi Tom

I don't know the Charnwood saw but I can tell you that given the choice I would always go for a belt driven saw. I find them smoother and less prone to vibration. There is some noise from the belt but the amount really depends on what belt is fitted to the machine. The belt I use is segmented and produces almost no noise or viberation.

Dennis

It's not the drive belt that will make the noise it is the brushed motor. Take a look at the link and the crafty sales speil; 'drive belt for quieter running' they say. But no mention that the motor is not the normal induction type, except in the specification table and in brackets at that.

Go to dealer and ask for a demonstration - take your ear-defenders. :roll:

Angela

A_n_g_e_l_a":1936bvg0 said:
Take a look at the link and the crafty sales speil; 'drive belt for quieter running' they say. ...

Angela

I also like the bit where it says, 'All are manufactured from extruded aluminium to ensure flatness.' :roll:

That's not to say that it may not be acceptably flat, but the idea that aluminium extrusion ensures flatness, is laughable.

Brad

i did'nt see the bit about the brush motor :oops: i dont use my cheap one now because of the noise. so what about site saws are they any good because i think they all have induction motors

How about that new ryobi. Not sure if this has a bruch motor too.

Had a good review in some mag not long back

i am not saying that i know wot is wot i bought a porfamnce power table saw from B&Q for £70 just before christmas and looks exactly like that but without the stand.
it does the job i need it to do but if you acurance then you could do better with the money you have available.
and the t slots are not standard size mine 3/8 deep and 5/8 wide in the large slot and 3/8 in the small.
go for the most you can afford i only got mine as i only need it for some of the diy at home and will not get used often.

Latest posts

Back