New bandsaw woes - heeeeelp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinny

Established Member
Reaction score
fellas

I recently took delivery of a Record BS350. I've been setting it up today as per the instructions and accompanying DVD (Bandsaw Masterclass with Alan Holtham). Try as I may I can't get the darn thing to cut straight. At the start of the cut the blade "wanders" slightly to the right. This happens whilst ripping and cross cutting, all I'm trying to do is cut some tenons in pine, the stock is 3 x 2 so no massive loading causing the problem. I initially thought that blade tension could be the issue , the machine comes with a 10mm blade, I've tried tensioning it up to where the tension gauge says a 16mm blade should be tensioned to but the problem remains (I'm reluctant to go any farther in case I damage something). The thrust bearings and side bearings are set correctly top and bottom and the blade appears to track correctly on the wheel. the blade is also 90 deg to the table and parallel to the rip fence. the blade guard is down as far as the stock will allow.
I'm now at a bit of a loss and am getting quite frustrated, I've been at it for nearly 2 hours. I have Mr maskerys DVD's so will have a look at the one on bandsaws tonight.
I'm now starting to think that the blade may not be of the best quality which may be causing the problem or that i need a different width blade for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Anybody out there have a BS350 who may have experienced similar issues, or indeed anybody able to offer any advice on what i may be doing "not right" (don't like to think of what i'm experiencing is something that I'm doing "wrong")

Many thanks

Vinny

(frustrated of Wiltshire)

is this the blade that came with the machine ? - if so its probably rubbish, bin it and buy a replacement from ian at tuffsaws and your problems might go away

Hi Vinny
It sounds to me as if your tracking isn't quite right. Where does it ride on the bottom wheel? You may need to tweak that as well as the top one, depending on how well it was set up at the factory. If the cut is wandering to the right, I'd expect the blade to be riding a little too far back (assuming column on the left, which I think the Records are). You may not need to tweak it very much to get it spot on.
What blade are you using? How many TPI? I don't know what Record's blades are like, but I, like many others here, recommend Tuffsaws.
If you are cutting tenons there is a rather splendid new jig in the air.....

Cheers
Steve

BSM, Steve

Thanks for the replies. As i said in the o/p I was leaning to a new blade, so a call to tuffsaws will be made in the very near future (the long haired general will have to be buttered up - AGAIN).

I've just checked the tracking on the bottom wheel and it looks to be bang in the middle of the tyre.
The blade is a 10mm to blade tip (from back of the blade to the lowest point of the gullet is 7mm) 3tpi - should I be looking to replace with something different from tuffsaws ? or should this size suffice as an "all rounder"

Cheers

Vinny

Steve

If you need a beta tester for the tenon jig dvd................you have my address :wink: :wink:

vinny

3 TPI skip is about right for normal ripping of, say, 1" stock. But not all blades are made equal. Drift could be because one side of the blade has been set harder than the other.

But Vinny, if the blade is currently dead central, then you should have plenty of room for manouvre. Bring the blade very slightly forward, reset your thrust bearing (and guide bearings if you'd moved it a long way) and you should be OK.

S

I would not change any wheel angles until you have tried one of tuffsaw blades. I had the same trouble with a Record bandsaw years ago, the blades did not work properly for me either.

I have the BS350 with no problems. (about 5 years now)
From what I remember the supplied blades were not wonderful but useable. However, I changed to Dragon (now tuffsaw) and they were much better.

I am not sure if you were cutting using the fence as a guide - if so, have you set up the fence?
ie draw straight line on a piece of mdf and cut along the line without using the fence. When about half way through, note the angle of the cut and then adjust the fence to be the same.
Its explained much better in Steve's DVD

HTH
John

I'm getting the drift with the fence and when cross cutting using the mitre gauge. I did set the fence as per the record dvd.
I meant to look at Steves DVD last night whilst on nights but my inconsiderate customer base was not aware of my intentions and decided to start dropping their servers off of my network, some people eh, always me me me :roll:

I'm going to get a tuffsaw blade next week and try that before I possibly introduce more error by playing with the wheels, going to watch Steves DVD as well.

Back