New Axminster TS-250M Table Warp - how bad is too bad?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazy_pete

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi - yesterday I took delivery of my first table saw, a shiny new TS-250M.

As per various recommendations the first thing I've done is check the top for flatness. As far as I can work out there is a 0.08mm concavity just left of the blade opening, between blade and left mitre slot and only really front 1/3 of slot.

Also while the front / side edges are pretty much flat (my smallest spacer is 0.04mm) I think there's a warp. On the diagonals front right to back left is essentially flat, but front left to back right has enough play at the ends to rock the rule. 0.45mm at FL and 0.12mm BR. Also 0.3mm at BL straight along edge.

I've emailed Axminster to tell them and will need to wait till Monday to see what they say, but was hoping to seek some advice. Is it fixable (shims under corners or grinding etc) or should I push for a replacement, and is that likely to be better? Or am I fussing over nothing? The general feeling seems to be that the Axminster hobby series saws are good quality / value but should I be expecting better quality control?

Otherwise v excited about first investment to get me going!

Cheers

Pete

Ok. First thing i have a TS200 and mine was out by 2mm and was told by axminster that is within spec for the company that actually produces them. :shock:

After my initial conversation with customer services, i was sent a new top out. So in readiness i removed the old top. However once removed i found the top was flat, and it was the actual frame that was out. You will probably see washers between the frame and the underside of the top where they have tried to correct it at the factory. :roll:
As the new top that arrived for the saw was for the sliding table, and then being told they no longer stock just the main table tops . I put the original back on with more packers to level it, as both axminster nuneaton ( the store i got it from) and the warehouse checked stock and found they were all of a similar state.

Sounds like its not far enough out to be a worry. I would use it and see how it goes. If its obviously not cutting square/straight then it is a problem....

Hi

I'd be pleased with those tolerances on a hobby rated machine - tolerances of that order are just as likely to be introduced by the surface the saw is standing on.

Regards Mick

Spindle":21wfrlw4 said:
I'd be pleased with those tolerances on a hobby rated machine - tolerances of that order are just as likely to be introduced by the surface the saw is standing on.

+1

I think you've done way better than most.

Back