New adjustable banjo for my Record Power DML24 Lathe??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
Please help...

I have an old Record Power DML 24 lathe (which I've found to be a great beginner lathe) and at present my banjo can only be tightened/loosened using a spanner which is a right pain in the donkey to say the least!!

I've had a look around and found that the DML/C Cam Lock Tool rest Upgrade (shown in the photo) was a perfect replacement that would fit, but Record Power have now discontinued them!!! And I cant seem to find anyone that still has any in stock!?

Does anyone know where I could buy one from, or is anyone that happens to have one lying around willing to sell me one?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• record-power-dml-c-cam-lock-tool-rest-upgrade-for-dml36sh-698-p_340x290.jpg
    record-power-dml-c-cam-lock-tool-rest-upgrade-for-dml36sh-698-p_340x290.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 2,801
Is the handle broken? There are some spares listed on Peter Child's website that might help:

http://www.peterchild.co.uk/hardware/ratchet.htm

Failing that you could contact Record Power and see if they have spares that could get you up and running until the banjos are back in stock.

I upgraded my CL-1 with a cam-lock banjo (got it from D&M Tools), it's light years better than the old one (which is now permanently on the bowl-turning attachment)

dickm":4om75x3h said:
Not an ideal solution, but would substituting a bristol locking lever for the existing work? That's the system on the Mystro and it's OK.

Thanks Dick M. To be honest I already had one on it originally which the previous owners had put on it, but the thread had gone on it and it wouldn't tighten properly, so after the hassle I had with that I'd rather stick to a spanner than getting another one. After I saw the DML/C Cam Lock Tool rest Upgrade I'm kinda' set on getting one (if I can!?!)

selectortone":2aefmf7z said:
Is the handle broken? There are some spares listed on Peter Child's website that might help:

http://www.peterchild.co.uk/hardware/ratchet.htm

Failing that you could contact Record Power and see if they have them.

I upgraded my CL-1 with a cam-lock banjo (got it from D&M Tools), it's light years better than the old one (which is now permanently on the bowl-turning attachment)

Thanks Selectortone. As I said just now after the trouble I had with the original bristol locking lever I'd rather not go back down that rout if i can help it. I have actually contacted Record directly and all they were able to say that it is now unavailable due to being discontinued!

No retreat, no surrender!

You have the power of this forum on your side - we SHALL prevail!

:D

That's what I was hoping Stiggy :)

And also got a reply from machinery4woodwork, and as predicted "sorry this item is now discontinued by Record Power and no longer available"!!

Was kinda hoping someone may have one left in stock, but it's probable not the kinda item shops would stock really, they'd probably order it in!?

Hi sawdust, I have an after market banjo you might be interested in.
I have altered a couple of parts which improves usage.
I machined out the 3/4" bore and let in a split bush which accepts the normal R/P shafts... see pic. (this prevents damage to the shaft when locking)
Also I have fitted a suitable fixed handle which is a pleasure to use.
...has a few splashes of speed n eze!!
...pm me if interested.

Regards

Gerry

P1010331.JPG

P1010332.JPG

P1010334.JPG

Attachments

• P1010331.JPG
    P1010331.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 1,101
  • P1010334.JPG
    P1010334.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,103
  • P1010332.JPG
    P1010332.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 1,099
Stiggy":bm9b0ire said:
I know this is a long shot, but the only thing I can think of is to contact the suppliers, listed on the record power website.

http://www.recordpower.co.uk/dealers#search-form

If you want, I could help contact some dealers asking if they have a banjo?

Thanks for the offer Stiggy! Short of phoning every single supplier on there, I've already checked every single one that have their own websites to no avail :?

lastminute":bm9b0ire said:
Hi sawdust, I have an after market banjo you might be interested in.
I have altered a couple of parts which improves usage.
I machined out the 3/4" bore and let in a split bush which accepts the normal R/P shafts... see pic. (this prevents damage to the shaft when locking)
Also I have fitted a suitable fixed handle which is a pleasure to use.
...has a few splashes of speed n eze!!
...pm me if interested.

Regards

Gerry

Just sending you a PM now Gerry :)

Latest posts

Back