networking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymar

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry, another computer question. Is it possible to network two computers, one running win 2000 and the running XP? I ran a wizard and it said "This wizard only supports windows 95, 98, me and XP.

Yes you can.

The best method is to use a cheap router that will abstract connectivity to a well defined technology. Using cross-over cables, etc. is messy and give big headaches. You can also use wireless however is is a psuedo crossover method. It can work but....

Simplest is the simple cheap router IMHO.

And yes they definitely then can "talk" to each other.

The easiest thing to do is attach a cross-over cable between the two computers, bipass any routers, switches etc. Run the wizard on the XP machine, and then in windows 2000 using the network places you should be able to browse to the XP machine - it's been a long time since i've done this as I saw the light and moved to a mac, but thats how I did it and it worked fine.

I have connected both computers with an ethernet cable but both say a cable is not connected. I'm going to try a wireless network, i wanted to be sure both operating systems were compatible. Thanks for your input fellas.

jaymar":bht6lpub said:
I have connected both computers with an ethernet cable but both say a cable is not connected.
As ByronBlack says above, you need a crossover cable (sometimes called a "twisted pairs" cable) - an ordinary CAT5 Ethernet won't work and you'll get the message you describe.

Ray.

The problem will be that you have used network cable.
It is wired from plug to plug pin 1 to pin 1 pin2 to pin2 etc

Therefore if computer 1 uses pin 1 as the transmit and pin 2 as the receive it won't work.

Use a patch / crossover cable as they are "crossed over". Pin 1 to pin 2 etc.

And for info the "twisted pair" is nothing to do with it as all Cat5 network cables are made up of twisted pairs of wires.

Gaz

So! Here I am again hoping to pick the brilliant brains of the forum. I fitted a crossover cable(remade the connections on ordinary cable). The laptop says lan connected, Desktop also connected but states a week connection. I have fitted a wireless card into both but cannot get the two to be friends, not even on nodding terms. Help!!

I'm confused. Why are you using wirless cards if you have connected the two computers together with a crossover cable?

I tried cable and wireless without success. I suppose I'll just have to keep trying different settings until I hit the right ones

Jaymar - I'm going to be blunt but you sound as if you are running around like the proverbial headless chicken. So do yourself a favour, mate.

BrianD had it sussed in the first reply. He also highlighted all the problems that you are having. Not least of which is rewiring Cat5 Ethernet cable which even with the proper tools can be a nightmare. As can trying to get wireless systems working...they are not as easy to set up as the vendors would have you believe.

So get yourself two unrewired unmessed about Ethernet cables and a cheapo router and it will work.

Back