Netbook recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody67

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes it's that time of year again folks and Mrs Woody, I believe, is hankering after a net/notebook. Is anyone currently using one or can recommend one please?

Thanks

Mark :ho2

My Dad's just bought a Dell Mini 10 and seems happy with it. I think I'd go for the ASUS one, personally.

I've been using the Samsung NC10 netbook for a year now. They have excellent build quality. I mainly bought it because the keyboard is very good compared to a few of the others I tried. I've had a few Samsung laptops and they have never failed me but I'd recommend you try a few if you do a lot of typing. Be aware that netbooks usually don't have a DVD drive but I use a USB stick for loading software.

Regards

Dave

Typing this on a Samsung N110.
Very happy with it.

Just one thing - are you sure you don't need a CD/DVD drive?
I sometimes wish I had a normal laptop so I could watch woodturning DVDs more conveniently.

Lenovo_S12 really nice...
12" screen so web pages look good. battery lasts for 8hrs or summat.
keyboard is good size for typing...

klick on netbooks on the side to see all their 10" ones they stock too...
not just lenovo, samsung, asus, compaq etc.

tho the Dell10" one is good to, check their outlet store

Thanks all, does anyone rate or have experience of the Medion Akoya 1312? Down to 249.99 now from 330.00. (Sorry my pound sign doesn't work :oops:)

Thanks

the Medion pc's usually have very good reviews - i would do a bit of searching on the net - they generally turn up in aldi/lidl with good discount.

asus eeepc - the original - take a look at reviews for these -

http://eeepc.asus.com/global/index.html

i would try and buy one with linux - these small machines run so much better using ubuntu netbook remix http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

if not get the windows and wipe it - you can run these off a usb flash drive first to see if you like it
a few reviews here that might be helpful http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029450,49297248,00.htm

Linux, even ubuntu, is a massive learning curve am IMHO the performance difference is minimal to the lay user.

its much easier now - run a version off usb drive and see what you think

I've been using linux for about 12yrs and have the latest ubuntu on one of my workstations. I've also been in support for the same amount of time and I know that most users, won't be happy with linux. It's just not a simple to manipulate as Windows or 'Mac' software.

If you want to have a tinker and learn how to use linux, then fine. But it's fiddly and not like windows.

I went into Carphone Warehouse a year ago for a new mobile and came out with an Asus Eee PC 701SD all for £149. Running Windows XP and a Solid State :C\ Drive of 8GB it has been great for away from home email and web use.
I added an extra 1GB Ram to help it along. Just don't expect speed or multitasking. I have a stand alone CD/DVD unit so loading programs isn't an issue.
My ideal Netbook would have the same form factor of the 701SD (225mm x 160MM) but with a 10" display, the processing power of a top range laptop, using Windows 7, built in Bluetooth and priced at about £350!
Cheers,
Jim

Thanks again for the replies folks.

Being the frugal netbook version that I am, I bit the bullet and went for the Medion. Looks good with HDMI connector, bluetooth, natty white finish :shock: and good reviews, BUT my only little gripe is it runs XP as it's operating system. How easy, expensive or possible, will it be to upgrade to Vista? Mrs W is used to this on our home laptop and must admit I like it too. Am I being too snobby at not being happy with XP? :oops:

Thanks

Mark

woody67":2htgvmn0 said:
... upgrade to Vista...
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or to put it another way, I really don't think Vista would be a good idea - it generally needs more power than a netbook has.
We've not used Vista in my current company at all but are sort of looking at Windows 7 which might be a much better option for it and maybe you wife's PC.

My bro in law runs windows 7 on his samsung NC10 and says it is fine. Think he has added more ram memory to it.

I wouldn't try installing Vista on it either :)

Thanks very much Pete and Robert. That's saved me a huge faux pas! Now then......onto memory upgrade.... :oops: Sorry for being as dense as two short lengths of lignum vitae :wink:

eugh? Vista? Not on my computers!!!

Wait 6months and then go for Windows 7 (if you must). Steer well clear of Vista) In IT circles, the definition of Vista is "View of rubbish".....

Memory upgrades are easy. I use Crucial Technology. Just punch in your computer model and up comes the correct memory. I think you'll find that the maximum Ram for most Netbooks is 2GB. You might have to change the 1MB for a 2MB module - depends on computer. Just remember to earth yourself to get rid of static prior to messing about with the internals.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Jim

Back