Neighbours from hell

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notwithstanding that you have nothing to do with them... Which obviously does not put you in a position of strength when it comes to dealing with issues. Have you thought about talking to them? Perhaps an amicable proposal would be to share the cost of removing the bush and replacing it with something smaller.

The law can be an ass but usually when it comes before or dominates discussion.

Our neighbours have a tree that casts a shadow over a fair proportion of our garden. Not the end of the world but we suggested getting some prices to have the tree pruned and sharing the cost of the work if we decided to go ahead. The tree is not causing them a problem but they were agreeable because they understood the nature of the problem. In fact it was staggering how different the tree looked from different sides of the fence - both they and us were surprised at how from their side it is a lovely tree but from ours a bit too large.

To me the start point is discussing both the best solution and then how best to cover the cost. I wouldn't go destroying the bush though - by the sound of things you've no idea what it means to them? I have trees in my garden that have sentimental value.

http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/index.shtml

Been watching this thread with interest and while I don't really have a solution regarding the bush, would not parking across a driveway that had a car in it be classed as obstruction and therefore a police matter. I seem to remember from some time ago being told that if there is a car in the driveway and someone parks across said driveway, then they are obstructing access to the highway and can be prosecuted by the police. If they park across an empty driveway then they are not obstructing access to the highway and therefore committing no offence.

Someone please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

I am curious about the suggestions regarding copper nails. Will they kill the plant?

regards

Brian

Jacob":35iqdmba said:
Tom K":35iqdmba said:
Chop 'em down to the height you are happy with toss the cuttings into their garden. If they challenge you shrug your shoulders and ignore. Seems to work for them. Any dispute will be a civil matter and I doubt they could be ar$ed to sue you.
Not so. It would be criminal damage.
You get arrested, finger printed, photographed, mouth swab, several hours in a cell without your shoes or belt, etc. etc. If you do it make sure there are no witnesses and simply deny all knowledge when you get the knock on the door. Better still - drop heavy hints to your mates and hope that they do it for you, behind your back and completely without your knowledge or agreement.

http://www.nfh.org.uk/forums

Utter b0ll0ck$ never in a million years.

Tom K":kbln44q6 said:
Jacob":kbln44q6 said:
Tom K":kbln44q6 said:
Chop 'em down to the height you are happy with toss the cuttings into their garden. If they challenge you shrug your shoulders and ignore. Seems to work for them. Any dispute will be a civil matter and I doubt they could be ar$ed to sue you.
Not so. It would be criminal damage.
You get arrested, finger printed, photographed, mouth swab, several hours in a cell without your shoes or belt, etc. etc. If you do it make sure there are no witnesses and simply deny all knowledge when you get the knock on the door. Better still - drop heavy hints to your mates and hope that they do it for you, behind your back and completely without your knowledge or agreement.

http://www.nfh.org.uk/forums

Utter b0ll0ck$ never in a million years.
Not at all. It happened to me.
I had loony neighbour who had planted stuff deliberately in front of my windows. Tried talking but no point as his intention was malicious from the start. Eventually, after watching for several years as our windows got obscured, I went over the hedge and trimmed a few bits and sprayed some nasty stuff. I was amazed at the outcome. Didn't get legal aid either.
The police were OK and sympathetic, it was the judge who wasn't interested in natural justice etc.

Jacob":72ow7npi said:
The police were OK and sympathetic, it was the judge who wasn't interested in natural justice etc.

So how many days in clink did you get, Jacob? Is that where you learned about 'rounded bevels' ? :D

RogerS":20glduio said:
Jacob":20glduio said:

So how many days in clink did you get, Jacob? Is that where you learned about 'rounded bevels' ? :D
Small fine. Large damages - he got away with ridiculous inflated estimates. Total contempt for the law. Actually the cops were OK, quite apologetic about having to take my shoes etc. All I did was cut down a shrub and trim another one! Treated like a murder suspect. Unbelievable but true.
Am on the DNA database now - so daren't touch another tree! Gloves next time.

I'm not sure these posts are helping the OP.

Whether you like it or not you are generally stuck with your neighbours. The last thing you want to do is make this the central focus of your life. It will drive you nuts.

However hard to do, the best thing is to try to talk to your neighbour and try to get him to see it from your angle.

The law is on your side, so don't mess things up by going down the self help route. If, God forbid, you end up in court (civil not criminal) you need to look like a saint not a nutter!

You might find that you can get help from LawWorks (the solicitors pro bono association). They can set up free of charge mediations. Might be worth a try.

All the best

Steve

DIY Stew":3dktg80f said:
Pvt_Ryan
Again it had crossed my mind but also illegal.
Stew

Only if you do it on purpose.. If you were to carry a bucket of it to your shed / garage for a legit reason (maybe you have an oil heater) and then happen to trip and it just happened to land in the area of the offending shrub, we can hardly expect you to be to blame.. ;)

Having had to deal for over a decade with a neighbour who thinks if he can reach a plant its his God given right to cut it, the damage, the verbal abuse, and threats when told to stop. We finally gave in last year and called the police. They arrived in minutes and while they didn't arrest him they made it perfectly clear they would if he broke the law again.

If you have a problem with the height and its a private property, the high hedge act is your way to go. Depending on where the trees are in relation to your window the rule of thumb for the action height is 1/2 the distance to your window + 1m . You can't just cut things down in other peoples gardens because you don't like them.

But they would have a civil claim against you for nuisance. It's the same if you let diesel leak from your tank onto next door's land. So they could sue you for the replacement cost of a mature hedge.

Latest posts

Back