Negative Rake Scrapers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
Folks,

I watched Mark Baker give a demo last weekend and he was promoting the use of neg rake scrapers (essentially the same as normal with a bevel on the top as well as the bottom).

A question occured to me after the demo - is there an application that these will not work on or is this a modifiication that improved all scraping tools?

Thanks
S

all of my scrapers have been neg rake after seeing stuart batty demo it at the 05 loughborough seminar (i think)
I've never found any down sides to having them all modified to neg rake

I never noticed the difference when I tried it. Will try again one day

J-T-there's an article in the latest woodturning magazine number 212 by mick o donnel which expains the principle much better than i can.

cornucopia":8y8snf5q said:
J-T-there's an article in the latest woodturning magazine number 212 by mick o donnel which expains the principle much better than i can.

I know the postie brought it shortly after I posted :lol: :lol:

They are great for really fine touch up work, but worthless for removing a lot of stock in a hurry. The scrapers are my go to tools for bowl roughing.

robo hippy

robo hippy":2mlgaqc9 said:
The scrapers are my go to tools for bowl roughing.

:shock:

Robo,

I think we may be at cross - purposes here. This is the type of tool I have in mind:

hardwoodscraper3.jpg

I would think you would reach for a 5/8 bowl gouge or something similar for roughing???

I was really taking fine finishing as read and wondering about the merits of the addition of the top bevel on a scraper vs a flat top as per the traditional type.

BRgds

Simon

Just to add a new dimension to the topic, with most of my scrapers I tend to put a long grind bevel on them, in the order of 30 degrees and then hone both the bevel and the top surface with a diamond hone. While this removes the burr, it still leaves a very sharp edge that cuts well and produces shavings. Perhaps my long grind is similar to the compound angles created by the negative rake scraper. Food for thought anyway.

Ben

For fine finish cuts with a scraper, you can do it a couple of ways. The negative rake scraper is one way. It is a very fine burr, and disappears quickly. I do use a small skew, freshly sharpened, with out honing so that it still has the burr on it for adjusting the shoulder on threaded boxes so the grain will line up. With 16 threads per inch, it only takes a whisper cut to adjust, and this tool is well suited for taking off the thinnest of shavings. It is held flat on the tool rest. The n. r. scraper in your picture won't do that as it can't get close enough to the threads and shoulders to make the cut. I think one of the reasons you can use that tool for finish cuts is as much because of the tiny burr as it is because of the bevel angles. Generally, if you use a scraper flat on the tool rest, it will pull more at the wood fibers, and you will get more tear out. It does take a heavier cut.

For bowl roughing, I use a burr straight from the grinder. Hold it pointing slightly down, and plunge in. I started experimenting some years back with scrapers because I knew that they used to be the primary tool for bowls. I wanted to see just how they worked. After working with them for a while, I came to the conclusion that the main cut you use for roughing bowls with a gouge is a scraping cut, with flutes at 90 degrees or so, and some times you lower the handle a bit. What better tool is there for making a scraping cut than a heavy scraper? It does have one added benefit in that most of the shavings are directed up over the top of your hand, rather than across the top of it.

You can also use it for the finish cuts. Have a fresh burr, either from the grinder, or you can burnish one. Hold the scraper at a 45 degree angle on the tool rest (not flat), and make very light passes, taking several passes to remove tool marks. A burnished burr does make a bit finer cut, but some times it depends as much on the wood as it does the tool.

I do tell people to never use the scraper flat on the tool rest for touch up work on the inside of a bowl, especially near the rim. You will get a screeching/howling noise which is caused by the bowl rim starting to vibrate. Especially on larger bowls, this can go to the point where the bowl edges will wobble so much that you get a huge catch and your bowl explodes. Been there, done that, won't do it again. If you have it at a shear (45 degree) angle, and use your hand as a steady rest on the outside of the bowl, it is a much more manageable cut. Much less pressure on the wood, and I have never experienced any catches this way.

robo hippy

robo hippy":vspjtgx2 said:
a huge catch and your bowl explodes. Been there, done that, won't do it again.

Me too :( :lol:

Surely the 'Easy Rougher' is a scraper, used for... roughing?

Back