• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Scrapers - why not go negative

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
So I’ve seen a lot about turners who use negative rake scrapers.

loads of positives - easier to use, good finish on the timber, no catches, equal ability to shear scrape etc etc.

In terms of regular scrapers only benefit I can see is that the edge / burr may last a little longer.

so my Q is why anyone would not regrind all our scrapers to be neg rake?

thoughts / comments?

simon

Ttrees

Iroko loco!
Reaction score
I must say, I was rather impressed by watching David's recent video using the buffer.
If you haven't seen it, worth a watch.
Reminds me, I must have a re-watch again, and those Parkside angle grinders are coming in next week.

Must resist after going shopping today.:)

RichardG

Established Member
Reaction score
So I’ve seen a lot about turners who use negative rake scrapers.

loads of positives - easier to use, good finish on the timber, no catches, equal ability to shear scrape etc etc.

In terms of regular scrapers only benefit I can see is that the edge / burr may last a little longer.

so my Q is why anyone would not regrind all our scrapers to be neg rake?

thoughts / comments?

simon
I watched the Conkers live event where Richard Findley featured and he was asked the very same question. He said that he could not see any advantage at all and he no longer has a traditional scraper. He did mention about rolling the edge a bit more with a piece of HSS rod but then I do that with traditional scrapers. I’m only a beginner but it certainly looks to be be worth trying. Looking forward to other views as well.

gregmcateer

Established Member
Reaction score
I watched it too- I love his demonstration style. And he's a damn good turner - makes it look so easy!

I have not got on well with scrapers, so am going to try negative rake grind - can't do any harm. Certainly if it marked them more usable, can't see why not go with it.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
I first tried using my skew side on as a negative a few years ago when negative scrapers first came to the fore, as I found no draw backs I’ve now reground both my conventional scrapers with negative rake & tend to use them more than I did before

Reactions: SVB

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
No burr from filing if drawn to finish it? Or at least none that the first use of the scraper won't rub off?
Burnish (HSS or burnisher - are they the same?) down to the angle you like and off you go?

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
The negative rake scraper section starts about 50 minutes in, very interesting :)

Paul Hannaby

Established Member
Reaction score
Reasons not to grind a negative rake scraper -
1. more difficult to sharpen because you have two bevels
2. if you're trying to get exactly on centre line for the inside of a box or similar, you can't see the cutting edge on a negative rake scraper because it's obscured by the tool shaft
3. In many (if not all) instances, you are achieving the same thing by lifting the handle and trailing the edge.

None of the above are show stoppers but you asked!

Having said that, I do have a couple of negative rake scrapers I use occasionally for specific tasks and a couple of scrapers that wouldn't do the job they are intended for as effectively if they were negative rake.

When you think about it, a negative rake scraper is just an ordinary scraper with the handle moved down. They aren't anything new and do have their uses and as with most tools, they have their place.

Mark Hancock

Established Member
Reaction score
Reasons not to grind a negative rake scraper -
1. more difficult to sharpen because you have two bevels
2. if you're trying to get exactly on centre line for the inside of a box or similar, you can't see the cutting edge on a negative rake scraper because it's obscured by the tool shaft
3. In many (if not all) instances, you are achieving the same thing by lifting the handle and trailing the edge.

None of the above are show stoppers but you asked!

Having said that, I do have a couple of negative rake scrapers I use occasionally for specific tasks and a couple of scrapers that wouldn't do the job they are intended for as effectively if they were negative rake.

When you think about it, a negative rake scraper is just an ordinary scraper with the handle moved down. They aren't anything new and do have their uses and as with most tools, they have their place.
Totally agree with everything Paul says except one thing :) - they are very useful for small boxes because there isn't room to lift the handle and used by the majority of well known box makers worldwide

When negative rake scrapers first appeared in the woodturning world it took me a while to get my head around this "new magic" tool :unsure: and then it dawned on me ... it's for those that have trouble raising the tool handle ... I'm a slow learner :D