Need to temporarily shorten a line by a few inches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an 8mm hemp rope with a soft eye loop splice in each end I need to temporarily shorten it a few inches but any knot(s) will be subject to a load of 350 lb but will need to be readily untied

Bowline on a bight

From the image you kindly posted, you will see that both ends of the rope exit the boab parallel to each other.

If the knot is used in a shortening application, this will not be the case; they will have an included angle of 180 degrees.

Can you confirm this is a recognised and acceptable way to stress this knot.

It is used for Y-shaped setups in climbing, but a Y has an included angle considerably less than 180 degrees.

----

Yojevol's idea of a dowel is good as it gives control over the length consumed. An alternative to the clove hitch is a marlin spike hitch. Just add turns around the piece of wood (or even vary its size) to fine tune the length used up.

Ratchet strap, easily adjustable, eyes both ends 😆🤣 yes, I'll go now 🫣

From the image you kindly posted, you will see that both ends of the rope exit the boab parallel to each other.

If the knot is used in a shortening application, this will not be the case; they will have an included angle of 180 degrees.

Can you confirm this is a recognised and acceptable way to stress this knot.

It is used for Y-shaped setups in climbing, but a Y has an included angle considerably less than 180 degrees.
Use the bowline loop instead of one of the end spliced loops.

Screenshot_2023-04-22-06-35-42-18_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Note: these things DONT twist the wire or rope as you tighten them.

I have an 8mm hemp rope with a soft eye loop splice in each end I need to temporarily shorten it a few inches but any knot(s) will be subject to a load of 350 lb but will need to be readily untied
I'd have said sheepshank like Yojevol.

Is the rope fastened via the eye splice at either end and what is it fastened to?

Be careful about using a sheepshank knot, not recommended for "critical" applications, which a 350lb loading mentioned may constitute !

https://www.animatedknots.com/sheepshank-knot
Bowline on a bight as mentioned, or alpine butterfly if you prefer to use both end spliced loops although not as easy to undo after loading as the bowline.

Be careful about using a sheepshank knot, not recommended for "critical" applications, which a 350lb loading mentioned may constitute !

https://www.animatedknots.com/sheepshank-knot
Bowline on a bight as mentioned, or alpine butterfly if you prefer to use both end spliced loops although not as easy to undo after loading as the bowline.
It is only subject to failure if un tensioned. If tensioned it is very strong and is also use to strengthen frayed areas of rope. You can make it less subject to undoing by putting a piece of dowel through the loops at each end.

I'd automatically opt for making a new loop using a figure 8 knot. Climbers fall on this every day so they are one of the most trusted knots in life or death situations.
But I've never used one on hemp rope. You might need a marlin spike to prise it apart after it's been under load.

The Alpine Butterfly knot is ideal for this. Easy to tie and doesn’t bind.

The Alpine Butterfly knot is ideal for this. Easy to tie and doesn’t bind.
Although it’ll probably take a good six inches off, not just a few. If you really only need a few inches then a simple larks head with a steel pin through it would probably work.

Back