Need some guidance with my wood floor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney K

Reaction score
Hey guys

I recently moved into a flat in London and my spouse and I decided to remove the carpet that was on the living room floor. We weren't impressed by the wood but as we're renting the place there's only so much we can do to it.

I was wondering if there's any way to restore this wood. We've sanded one side of it and it looks smoother but certain parts of covered in white wood filler which makes it look untidy and can't seem to be sanded away.

We don't want to hide the wood effect so painting it is out of the question so we were thinking about using wood stain until we realised you'd probably see all the burn marks and white wood filler through the stain.

Any ideas on how to make this wood look more appealing?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220103-080754_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-080754_Gallery.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20220103-080757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220103-080757_Gallery.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 54
Put a carpet on it. If you don’t like that look, there’s not much you can do for it

Or paint it with floor paint (that might be what the white once was)

With that much wood filler :unsure: the chances of any finish other than paint looking half decent would imho be almost nil so another carpet might be the way to go:)

With that much wood filler :unsure: the chances of any finish other than paint looking half decent would imho be almost nil so another carpet might be the way to go:)

The sanded side looks paintable - it's not going to look smooth and slick but painted floorboards can look good more 'rusticated' (and at least the OP could avoid the dreaded carpet).

Or keep sanding.
You might be lucky and get to the end of it.
But, as others have said, you may be as well just to put a new carpet over it.
Sorry.

Heres a whaky one...... being as the white is in the grain and joints, get some brown paint or black might look better, and paint all the white bits. Then a light sand back to get rid of overpainted bit on the wood, then varnish??

Heres a whaky one...... being as the white is in the grain and joints, get some brown paint or black might look better, and paint all the white bits. Then a light sand back to get rid of overpainted bit on the wood, then varnish??

Oh I didn't think of that, thank you

it's a pity to see someone join up and get such negative advice, but unfortunately the advice is right.
Another option is hardboard over it and lay cheap vinyl - the property is rented after all. You should hardboard it before carpet is laid anyway.

Thanks Phil, I appreciate all these quick responses even though it may not be what I wanted to hear as I've tried to get help from several forums and didn't receive a response.

Latest posts

Back