need some advice on what wood to get to match this pic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darloray

Established Member
Reaction score
having only had a scroll saw for 3 weeks, im still learning but really enjoying practising.
my first plan is to make some picture frames and scroll some text in them for a friend and also my daughter.
my friend gave me an image of the colour that she wants but not sure what to get.

I reckon its close to light or medium oak.
is it worth looking around for merchants to get a sheet of oak that colour or get some solid wood to stain.

love some advice on cheapest or best way to do it.

kind regards
ray

Attachments

• frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 950
cheers brian,

been having a practice of what I want to scroll on pieces that came with the saw.
I got right to the end,nearly finished and I was happy with my first real go at full scrolling piecework text and there is a small letter e at the end of the word and the middle bit of the e caught the blade and went ping so now looks like a c :)

I was bit peed but i'd prefer to do that now and learn from mistakes. a person who doesn't make mistakes, doesnt make anything.

thanks
ray

ive been down to a couple of timber merchants this morning,told him what im looking for bit for some light oak.
that way it looks like ordering a sheet in which is going to be dearer.
I need it somewhere around 9-10mm thick.
if I went down the route of using another type of board and to stain a light oak colour,what would you recommend.
not sure if it was possible to have any grain in it using a cheaper piece.

thanks
ray

with respect (I don't know you or your abilities)

Have you made picture frames before? They are deceptively simple looking. you might be as well buying some to scroll the text into.

I don't know scrolling either, but I would imagine that small text isn't an ideal beginner project.

hi I work in a factory that makes kitchens, bedrooms, office furniture and make and install units in schools all over the north east. we even make large notice boards
im very competent in making most things.

yeah not been scrolling for very long but been practising on the text I want to do first and its gone well so far and im a quick learner at most things anyway

edit. just been thinking about maybe looking for light oak solid flooring.
all angles etc ill just use in the factory on our saw..

9mm thickness seems rather thin for a picture frame. I'd have thought 15-20mm might be better suited. If your using solid timber for the frames, don't forget to allow the wood time to shrink/acclimatise before gluing together.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

sorry I never said, was gonna cut 2 pieces out same size at 10mm thick on the front piece scroll the text out and glue to the other piece to make it up to 20mm.
therefore creating a backing to the cut outs of the scrolling.

Ah got ya ! How about using 20mm and routing away a groove (obviously from the back) where the letters are going. Might help reduce the amount of gluing up, less glue lines perhaps.
Haven't your work got any offcuts you could use ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

close to our factory there is a factory that works with a lot of wood so I popped in today, told him what I wanted and found some spare bits of thicker oak he cut a few lengths out about 1 metre long at 10mm thick. it will be perfect for what I need and should oil up nice when I get finished.
I offered him some money but gave me it for nothing.

Back