Need help with electrics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronhill97

Established Member
Reaction score
Before I start I just want to say I know virtually nothing when it comes to electrics so please bare that in mind

I have a small workshop which when I first got it fitted out I only had bench too machines all with ordinary household plugs, therefore I just have ordinary sockets running down the two long walls of an 20ft container.

I'm looking at upgrading a couple of machines however they require 16 amp plugs, therefore my question is can I adapt the circuit I have now to wire in a 16 amp blue socket or does it mean running whole new lines back to the house?

I know this may be a very broad question but any help would be very welcome

Thanks

I imagine a 16 amp socket would be supplied by a radial back to the consumer unit in your workshop, with its own circuit breaker.

A bit like a cooker or shower in a house.

Im not an electrician though so could be totally wrong, so dont go by my advise. And the usual, you cant do it yourself needs a qualified sparkie applies.

It all depends on how it was wired up in the first place, do you have a fusebox in the workshop?

You will need to get a Part P certificate for any new work done, so you would have to call a sparky and he should be able to advise you.

You could then do the work and get the sparky to connect up.

Pete

Latest posts

Back