Need advice on a vice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I bought a 7" woodworkers vice with quick release from Axminster, it was on sale but when it arrived, the jaws were not vertically square, by some margin (around 10 deg), as I hadn't used it at all it went straight back, I had to get the 9" as a replacement as they didn't have any 7s in stock, the 9" has arrived today and it's also not vertically square. it's not as pronounced as the 7" but still around 5deg out. Should I send this one back too?

I do appreciate that I can shim the jaws when I add wooden faces to them but should I accept that the vice is out or should I be worried that it's not mechanically sound?

I think you're rather picking up the bill for the quality price we pay for far eastern goods manufactured to a budget. Strictly speaking you are of course well within your rights to expect Axy to replace it and Im sure they would have no problem in doing so.

Having said that, I've come to learn that nearly all tools need some sort of fettling, particularly bigger machine tools and the less expensive and more far eastern they are.....generalising....the more attention they need.
I went through this with the Axy TS200 table saw some years ago. The ext table was bowed upwards, as was the replacement and indeed the second replacement!! In the end I spoke to the tekky and asked him to double check any/all stock before he shipped. He reported that everyone was like that...did I want a refund!

So I got all philosophical, accepted that cheap goods have quality problems and made a perfectly flat melamine one instead. I've long since upgraded that table and basically have a personal rule now that if I cant afford a quality version, I wait and save till I can. Or accept the fetling.

Thanks Bob, I was aware that it wouldn't be the best vice in the world, I also have no issue with fettling but I simply do not have a clue as to what would be acceptable to be fettled or just plain rejected.

Reggie":3cvdzxdq said:
Thanks Bob, I was aware that it wouldn't be the best vice in the world, I also have no issue with fettling but I simply do not have a clue as to what would be acceptable to be fettled or just plain rejected.

No fair enough, not sure I would either. Maybe try calling their tek folks and asking them to check their stock with a square to see if they can ensure at least one of them is acceptably square? Rather like my saga with the TS200. Probably worth a try. I will say one thing...Axy have legendary customer service in my exp so I would have no worries about their willingness to help.

WillRiseley":1yp4sdc0 said:
Are they just toed in so that as you tighten them up they bring the full surface area into contact?
Yes, they are not meant to have jaws that are parallel when undone. They pull parallel when tightened - otherwise, when tight the bottom of the jaws would be tighter than the top.

I thought about that too Will, it does get a bit better tightened rather than just jaws touching.

Bob, I'll get my Dad to get onto them (he purchased it for me), I did suggest to him that he might ask them to check the box of the replacement to make sure it was square but I don't think he was aware of Axminsters legendary customer service, so he didn't.

Phil, how much out of parallel is acceptable?

phil.p":4kzryqqk said:
WillRiseley":4kzryqqk said:
Are they just toed in so that as you tighten them up they bring the full surface area into contact?
Yes, they are not meant to have jaws that are parallel when undone. They pull parallel when tightened - otherwise, when tight the bottom of the jaws would be tighter than the top.
Yes. My old Record vices the same. Nothing to worry about. Even if they toed out you could make up the difference by adjusting the wooden jaw facings you are going to put in.

Reggie":1dletaqk said:
I thought about that too Will, it does get a bit better tightened rather than just jaws touching.

Bob, I'll get my Dad to get onto them (he purchased it for me), I did suggest to him that he might ask them to check the box of the replacement to make sure it was square but I don't think he was aware of Axminsters legendary customer service, so he didn't.

Phil, how much out of parallel is acceptable?

As long as the vice works properly, I shouldn't think it makes the slightest bit of difference. It's a problem that hasn't arisen, so I've not thought about it.

Don't keep sending the vices back - they are deliberately designed so that the top of the jaws touch first when you do them up. If you told Axminster why you sent the first one back, I'm surprised they didn't explain this to you, but there you go......

Cheers :wink:

Paul

There was a marked difference between the 2 vices, the 7" was very pronounced, I'm pretty sure my dad would've had to say why he wanted to send it back in the first place.

That being said, that's why I asked questions here instead of sending the 2nd one back, I don't want to be a pain to axminster. As it stands, it's down to about 1mm when tightened and I'm happy to shim that, thanks for the advice guys :)

Back