Need advice on a Hegner saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricksterdude

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm looking to getting into scroll saw work as a hobby. I've been checking on this forum for quite a bit and a lot of people swear by Hegner Scroll saws. I've found one that is local to me but, as I know nothing about them, I need advice... ie... does it look complete and is it worth £175. The chap says its a Multicut 2S and assures me its fully operational.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... thanks.

Attachments

• heg1.jpg
    heg1.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • heg2.jpg
    heg2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 1,186
  • heg3.jpg
    heg3.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • heg4.jpg
    heg4.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • heg5.jpg
    heg5.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 1,186
  • heg6.jpg
    heg6.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,185
  • heg7.jpg
    heg7.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,185
Your topic doesn't say what you want help with so most people will be reading it but won't be familiar with Hegners (like myself) so can't help, hence the high view, low reply counts.

Aggrajag":38tzgt6q said:
Your topic doesn't say what you want help with so most people will be reading it but won't be familiar with Hegners (like myself) so can't help, hence the high view, low reply counts.

Fixed the subject line to includ Hegner saw...cheers.

It's difficult to advise just looking at photos but here are my observations -:

It is an older model, not sure how old but it's certainly over 17 yrs.

It does not look as though it has had a very caring owner as the saw is very knocked about. most of us paid a lot for our Hegners and cherish them, (my Hegner has been in regular use for over 16 years and is still in immaculate condition)

You have to consider that if a saw has been knocked about as much as this has the working of it been abused too?

having said the above Hegners are very robust and will last a very long time even when they are not used by careful owners.

The absence of quick tension release will be annoying if you intend to do lot's of internal cuts and a quick release clamp is a must, you can buy a quick clamp to use for around £15-£20 but the quick tension release is not a viable option to change (it would cost too much)

The other thing missing from this saw is variable speed control, when I say missing I mean it was not fitted during manufacture, again because Hegner uses an Induction motor you cannot fit variable speed control to the saw. Many people here do not think variable speed is useful but if you are new to scroll-sawing you will find it invaluable.

In conclusion Hegner saws do command high second hand prices because they are superb and long lasting machines and they cost a lot when new so in my opinion you are better off spending this sort of money for a used Hegner (obviously providing it is fully working) than spending a similar amount on a new poorer quality saw.

If this saw was in excellent condition ( IMHO it is not) £175 would be a fair price, so in your position I would try offering £100, the seller may drop to £150 you could then counter offer £125, you get nowhere if you don't ask.

Let us know what you do.

In the end I decided not to go for second hand or cheap. Ended up buying and AXMINSTER TRADE SERIES EX-16. In for a penny in for a pound as they say. One more question... I do a lot of stuff with oak whisky barrel staves. Make clocks, candle holders etc. The're an inch thick, whats the best blade to use? There'll be nothing intricate, getting done with these but I does have to be a nice, clean finish on the edge.

I cut 3/4 inch oak all the time. for your 1 inch oak I would go for a number 7 reverse toothd blade.If you cover the oak with wide clear packing tape you will find it will cut a lot easier, it will reduce the friction between blade and wood and also help prevent burning and the cut will be quicker. You will find that you will get a very clean edge, almost a silky smooth finish, there will be a few fuzzies on the underside of the work piece but these are easily removed with a piece of abrasive. Happy scrolling but a word of advice. It is very addictive.

If you want a fast and very clean cut try Olsen pgt blades,not as maneouverable as the mach blades but leave an almost polished edge

Back