Need advice -Employment part 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawkEye

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently I got in contact with a guy who does carpentry work in the south of London. The problem is he works out of his van, and does not have a workshop, so all his work is carried out on site with portable machinery e.t.c. Its also a problem travel-wise, because I live in the North of London.

Do you think I should hold out for a proper firm in my local area? Or take this opportunity? He can claim the PLA fee from CITB to pay my salary, I just don't know if it will be good for me... any advice?

I would go for it even if it tides you over for a bit. If you are prepared to relocate to other parts of Britain you may find better options.

Sitework is very good for the soul and makes you appreciate a decent job when you do get it, take it for now and try and save some dosh and perhaps you can do the same as he is doing.

Rich.

I enjoyed my stint doing site work...Cold in winter but great when the
sun was up...would do it all again.
A job is a job...holding out for a job you want just means more unemployment and that is a
negative to employers on your applications..
Good luck with your choice HawkEye no matter what your choice:wink:
alex

hog&bodge":269g2grt said:
A job is a job...holding out for a job you want just means more unemployment and that is a
negative to employers on your applications..
Good luck with your choice HawkEye no matter what your choice:wink:
alex

Cold in winter? you want to try installing lifts in the middle of winter, the lift shaft is a natural flue and bloody freezing, but as I say, it's good for the soul, character building and makes one appreciate a nice warm permanent site job when available as is now with me, my days of travelling the length and breadth of the country are now truly in the past and I enjoy each comfortable day as it comes, in the warm, I might add. :lol:

Rich.

HawkEye":1xe12cj4 said:
Recently I got in contact with a guy who does carpentry work in the south of London. The problem is he works out of his van, and does not have a workshop, so all his work is carried out on site with portable machinery e.t.c. Its also a problem travel-wise, because I live in the North of London.

Do you think I should hold out for a proper firm in my local area? Or take this opportunity? He can claim the PLA fee from CITB to pay my salary, I just don't know if it will be good for me... any advice?

In principle, I agree with the other comments but with one caveat.

How are you going to get to and from where you live to where he's doing the work? You live North if London. How far North? He's in the South....that covers a huge area. How are you going to get your tools there and back? Public transport will be a nightmare I reckon. driving will be expensive and unless you can go through the wiggle routes, you'll get clobbered for Congestion Charge.

RogerS":37y4tfo0 said:
HawkEye":37y4tfo0 said:

In principle, I agree with the other comments but with one caveat.

How are you going to get to and from where you live to where he's doing the work? You live North if London. How far North? He's in the South....that covers a huge area. How are you going to get your tools there and back? Public transport will be a nightmare I reckon. driving will be expensive and unless you can go through the wiggle routes, you'll get clobbered for Congestion Charge.

Spot on.

Unfortunately that is a problem, but round my way there is very little opportunity in terms of jobs.

I had an interview yesterday, not with this guy, but with a firm in the same area. My satnav sent me through central London, so I ended up arriving 35 minutes late.

To top that off I left me college year report, which I didn't want them to see, in the workshop lol. It has all the details about my lateness and unccoperative nature during the first two years, which was basically a bit of a water around for everyone.

It was only the third year that I started taking it seriously, and I was going to explain all of it, but never got round it. What it did show was that my work was very good the whole time, and that's the only reason I initally took it in, to make light of my lbehaviour but draw attention to my quality of work. Was to embrassed to go back for it, so I'm waiting until thursday when they phone me to let me know if I have the job lol.

If I get the job, I'll go and collect it when I start. If I don't, I'll ask them to send it back in the post or something.

Hate to sound like a fussy old git (at the age of 36!) but if you did that to an interview I was holding you wouldn't have got the job. Quite apart from the late arrival at interview, which would have lost you job anyway, leaving a bit of paper decrying your attendance and performance over a 2 year period would definately count you out, irrespective of the quality of your work. Reliability is as important, if not more so, than performance. If you get the report back, either photocopy the relevant section for your next interview, or do not take it. Oh, and if you really want a job, scope out the location and directions first, arrive early and have a coffee somewhere if necessary but never, ever turn up late for an inteview - first impressions count and yours have counted against you in this instance. Even phoning and saying you will be late because of traffic is a black mark, but better than just arriving late.

Steve.

As a slightly older (37!) and probably more fussy git, I too would not have even considered giving you a job.

An ex-boss of mine once discounted a candidate for being 9, yes NINE, seconds late for an interview's scheduled start-time.

Of course I won't get the job lol, it was good experience though and I felt like I came accross well. He remarked on my experience being one of the best so far out of the candidates he had seen. Got a little personal about the questions towards the end. He asked me what I like doing in my spare time, this is always a black area for me because I don't do very much, and only have one or two friends who are currently at Uni, so I struggled for superficial stuff to say.

Secretly hoping I don't get the offer anyway because the commute is a horrendous. Nice enough people though.

HawkEye":oqz5el6c said:
He asked me what I like doing in my spare time, this is always a black area for me because I don't do very much, and only have one or two friends who are currently at Uni, so I struggled for superficial stuff to say.

Ha, I know what that's like! :D

Do you not get up to any woodworking in your own time? Even if it's purely as a hobby? It's always worked well for me. One of the reasons I got in to woodwork was because of boredom! :wink:

Take this one as a lesson. Learn from your mistakes but focus on the good points. :)

HawkEye":3g58eljz said:
Got a little personal about the questions towards the end. He asked me what I like doing in my spare time.

Nothing unusual in that line of questioning Hawkeye .. in fact ( a wee bit older at 44 ) , I'd be almost insulted if a prospective employer DIDN'T ask me what made me tick outsides of work.

Sometimes you need to be a little 'creative' with the answering ... I mean, If you don't have much in the way of hobbies or interests.. and basically can 'fart' a reasonable 'Middle C', then you claim an interest in "developing your musical skills" ... if you see what I mean.

He doesn't "care much" generally speaking, .. about the fine detail of your outside interests .. he's just getting a 'comfort factor' for himself.. and ensuring you're not an axe-weilding homicidal maniac, waiting to strike him down when his back's turned to dunk his teabag.

Its about 'talking yourself up' in all apects of how you come across to people.... as you go on, expect that line of questioning every time... and get worried if its NOT there !

Good luck pal..

Jenx :lol: 8)

Rich":9jr7h5il said:
hog&bodge":9jr7h5il said:

Cold in winter? you want to try installing lifts in the middle of winter, the lift shaft is a natural flue and bloody freezing
Try going up high line steel in the winter and spend a few (4) hours up there working on high voltage...snot freezes to your skin....feet feel like falling off,no feeling in your hands,and you still have to climb down for lunch and back up afterward to have another go....4 more hours....220 ft in the air with sleet hitting you stinging where ever it hits you...Loved every minute of it,not everyone is up to the challenge.

You have to like the work! I did it for 37 years and then I got tired of getting up all hours to put someones lites back on.Been energized to 765,000 volts,bird on a wire spacer changeing...

Back