Need a way of hanging a media centre

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisdl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there

My wife wants me to make a media centre but she wants a hanging version sorta like this http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/produ...-e71b262e-31a9-45f7-8199-eb37b9203f22_320.jpg

I don't have any experience with hang things and I have no idea what sort of bracket/hinge type thing you need it would need to hold a 40inch modern tv and a sky box plus some DVD/blur ayes and some cd, so a fair amount of weight.

Does anyone know of the type of thing I would need, i guess it would be invisible to the eye also as I can't see it in the picture. I can make the media centre but this has defeated me.

Thanks for reading if you got this far

Kris

I've no experience hanging anything everything I've made so far has been free standing. If I were to say its a heavy cabinet what methods could I use to hang it without the hanging option affecting the overall look?

Edit: looking at your link.

Ok it looks like the floating shelf option is not durable enough for a heavy cabinet, I'll look into that twin slot shelving and see if it works with the cabinet.

Don't forget, that was just a B&Q video to demonstrate the idea, there are possibly heavier duty fixings available.

Its just a 5 sided box.
Make it with a 18mm rebated back glued and screwed and attach it through the back, should strong enough to stand on.

I have made book shelf/box the same way from 12mm MDF and its full of books and has a 2 foot high pile on top, it shows no sign of sagging or coming away from the wall.
Its up on with 4 2" 10s into rawlplugs

Pete

Baldhead":17k0pmkx said:
Two French Cleats?

I would use a single french cleat the full width of the box.
If it's going onto a stud wall that would allow you to fix into every available stud.

I don't have a clue about hanging the cabinet but my TV is mounted on the wall with an off the shelf bracket and the cables are chased into the wall going down to the free standing media centre.

If you were to do that, or even use some slim trunking from TV to media centre then you can greatly reduce the weight the floating cabinet needs to old.

http://www.123brackets.co.uk/

Depends a bit on how heavy it all is, but I have a bit of 2x4 mounted to the wall (solid stone) for climbing training. It has four 75mm screws (in standard rawlplugs) holding it on to the wall. It takes 12 stone of weight fine. So as long as you have good fittings then you really can hang a lot off screws.

As others have mentioned, look into french cleats, they're ace.

If you've got a modern house, as others have said, make sure you're just not screwing into plasterboard. That doesn't work well. However if you can go straight into brick or stone, it's easy to get stuff up.

French Cleats! I had just returned to the forum to post that I think French Cleats would do the job perfectly and someone had already posted, thank you all for your suggestions. French Cleats ties in lovely with handmade furniture or at least thats how I'm selling it to myself :D

I can build it into the cabinet and it won't be noticed at all, I had some nice sycamore I got for a bargain and my wife hates our media centre and we have a smallish front room plus a 1 year old which means we need all the room we can get but she also wants me to build something really nice for her (my lovely wife = her)

Again thank you all for your suggestions

EDIT: our house is a semi detatched, the wall is the wall connecting to the other building, I believe it's breeze blocks or something like that, it's rock solid excuse the pun.

I've used cleats for all of my shop wall cabinets and given the weight these fixings hold I have no doubt that they will have no issue with a tv cabinet.

+1 for French cleats

Thank you for the feedback, with no experience you have to rely on other peoples experience so it's nice to hear you have a good record with them.

Um, It seems to me that ONE French cleat at the top, perhaps with plates screwed well to the wall at the bottom would work well.

Two French cleats would be almost impossible to do well: too close together and the bottom one has no effect; too far apart, (much worse!) and the top one has no effect (and the whole lot comes off the wall when you least expect it.

Two French cleats? Mais non, certainment!

In terms of managing the forces, the top of the unit pulls outwards and downwards, and the bottom mainly downwards. Metal plates at the back at the bottom will retain it pretty well. Hide them with a faced plywood or hardboard back, cut to size that you can just push into the shelf (you'll need something to hide cables, anyway).

The main thing I would do is to ensure you find the studs in the wall (assuming it's not a solid wall) and screw into them. If you're going to have CD's etc in it as per your photo then I wouldn't be worried as to how many fixings I had etc. P for plenty! They could all be hidden by CD's.

You can't really beat split battens for hanging stuff. I have hung 8 foot tall mahogany panelling on a plasterboard partition with split battens. You just need to take care on hiding them.

midnightlunchbox":1ug29xq4 said:
You can't really beat split battens for hanging stuff. I have hung 8 foot tall mahogany panelling on a plasterboard partition with split battens. You just need to take care on hiding them.

I've just Googled 'split battens' and it looks exactly like a French cleat to me. Is there a difference?

Latest posts

Back