naughty fence

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny

Established Member
Reaction score
My fence must have slipped slightly when cutting a rebate for the bottom of a box and now the drawers are too tight.

Is there any way of salvaging this by packing the joint and maintaining sufficient structural intergrity? the problem is its only 2mm I need to find and I cannot think of a way to pack that width without significantly weakening the joint .
If I rebate the joint a further 1.6mm I suppose I could use a strip of 3.6mm ply to shim the joint

I really don't want to have to start again with a new piece of ply and remeasure and recut all the drawer rebates again if I can help it :roll:

Attachments

• rebate.jpg
    rebate.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 253
Hi Matt
unfortunately it is only 2mm thick by 12mm wide :? I have nothing capable of ripping that.
This is the bit that I over rebated

Attachments

• rebate.jpg
    rebate.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 215
Sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying. Do you have a table saw? I was suggesting you rip a 2mm ish strip from some wood, and glue it in the rebate to add back the thickness.

Out have I misunderstood? It happens a lot with me! ;)

no you haven't misunderstood at all. its probably me not using the correct terminology :roll:

If you look at the image in my last post you'll see the bit in question.
I do not have a table saw just a cheap handheld circular saw with a good blade but I doubt I could cut a 2mm strip that would hold together and be accurate enough on both faces.

I suspect my best bet will be to rip 12mm strip off a 3.6 mm thick ply sheet and rout a further 1.6mm from the existing rebate and pin and glue the strip into the bottom of the rebate to bring it up level where it should be

Ah, with no table saw, then yes, I think your best bet is to rout deeper as you say. Just take it slow and creep up on it so you don't make it worse!

If you don't have the equipment to make 2mm thick stock. Just buy it in. It will cost next to nothing and save you loads of aggro

MattRoberts":14tvk3rb said:
Ah, with no table saw, then yes, I think your best bet is to rout deeper as you say. Just take it slow and creep up on it so you don't make it worse!

I've tried sneaking up on it ...
I'll order up a deeper rebate bit so that I clean up the rebate as its going to be quite deep and the fine adjusment on a makita 0700 is abysmal
thanks

Adam9453":14tvk3rb said:
If you don't have the equipment to make 2mm thick stock. Just buy it in. It will cost next to nothing and save you loads of aggro

i wasn't aware that you could purchase anything that thin !... could you perhaps give me a link to something suitable?

I was just about to say, someone on here will probably offer their help.
Good on you matt

Normal veneer is 0.7mm thick so 3 thicknesses would fill your gap. Not purist I know, but for the bottom of a drawer?

Also anything can be bought, just a question of finding someone to buy it from. If you put a post up asking to buy 2mm thick stock by whatever length and width you need then someone can you give you a price for cutting the stock and posting it to you. Or if they're local then I expect they'll offer for you to visit them like Matt kindly has

MattRoberts":2wklgbwu said:
If you're anywhere near East Grinstead you're welcome to pop over and we can do it here :)
thank you Matt thats very kind of you . I'd love to take you up on your offer especially as my partners Family live close by at Hassocks but regretably I live over the other side of the Country in South Somerset.

Glynne":3blrv20f said:
Normal veneer is 0.7mm thick so 3 thicknesses would fill your gap. Not purist I know, but for the bottom of a drawer?

Its not the bottom of a drawer Glynne..... its the bottom panel of a tool chest that contains 5x drawers. It needs to be a stong joint in order to hold the chest together and resist sideways pressure from the drawers being pulled in and out.

johnny":13e8wxbj said:
MattRoberts":13e8wxbj said:
If you're anywhere near East Grinstead you're welcome to pop over and we can do it here :)
thank you Matt thats very kind of you . I'd love to take you up on your offer especially as my partners Family live close by at Hassocks but regretably I live over the other side of the Country in South Somerset.
Sounds like a good time to visit the in-laws! ;)

MattRoberts":2w7242l2 said:
johnny":2w7242l2 said:
MattRoberts":2w7242l2 said:
Sounds like a good time to visit the in-laws! ;)

:lol: you won't believe it but the inlaws are all down here with us this week .... :lol: :lol:

Back