Natural Edge Pear Bowl WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Had an interesting looking piece of what I had thought was yew...but turned out to be pear instead. It had three branches coming from one main branch, though one looked like it had died and dropped off a long time ago. This morning I trimmed it with a chainsaw and got it mounted on a faceplate. The outside has been completed and I hope to do the inside later this afternoon...
Lots of pictures...

First cuts were a bit punky with lots of tearout...

Push cut with a smaller and freshly sharpened bowl gouge left a much nicer finish...

Shaping completed on the outside...

First coat of oil after sanding from 80 grit to 320...

The bowl should have a rim that drops low on one side so I'm hoping it will make a nice 'window' to view the inside...

Thanks, Naz

Here's part two...

Mounted in the chuck for hollowing...

Getting started...

Putting some light on the bowl...

Hollowing finished, plenty of sanding ahead!

And finally, sanded and oiled and then left in the shed until I get to turn the foot...

Hang on ... LED strip light on the back of the toolrest?????

That's flippin' genius.

... and that is a gorgeous bowl.

Thanks again, Naz. The led light strip makes so much difference. I've made several up and sold them to club members. I'll be putting some more together for the December meeting. There's never any problem with shadows with the lights here rather than an angled one put on the lathe bed.

WOW!

Great turning there. How many screws did it take to take that beast?!!

Natural edge bowls really do look fantastic after they're have been coated.

Cheers, Andrew and Tetsuiga

I went with a modest 8 70mm screws - it never budged!

Woodmonkey":catfz97p said:
Very nice bowl, and great idea with the led lights, i will be stealing that one.

Thanks - it was fun to do...

I've got lights made up on a metal strip with magnets and power packs for £10 plus postage if you don't have all the bits to do it yourself... :D

Thanks Stewart that's a kind offer but i do have some Led strip lights that will be just the job

Nice project. Did you use any s/g to hold the bark rim in place of did nature play ball? If the latter, should it stay now you've finished working the piece?

S

I put some superglue on after I'd turned it. I did lose some but some of it was so loose I don't think superglue would have saved it anyway. I might stain and or pyrograph the missing section to darken it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could have sworn that I comment on you bowl Stewart. A very nice bowl and good finish I am always on the look out for rustic logs like this to make some interesting work from

Thanks, Derek. I keep going out to my workshop to proudly admire it, hoping that the splits will have stayed the same and not opened out....all good so far.... I've got to decide if I put this into my competition on Sunday or put the coloured and textured rim bowl....decisions, decisions...

stewart":1g0prki2 said:
Thanks, Derek. I keep going out to my workshop to proudly admire it, hoping that the splits will have stayed the same and not opened out....all good so far.... I've got to decide if I put this into my competition on Sunday or put the coloured and textured rim bowl....decisions, decisions...

I would go with this one

Second place....beaten by another natural edge bowl in yew with all the foot removed. I kept mine, though did re-turn it to take off the dovetail angle and replace it with a cove. I think it looks better being lifted up a little.

Back