Name that wood!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billybuntus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Would anyone be so kind as to identify what type of wood this doors made from?

CIMG6077.jpg

CIMG6078.jpg

Thanks,
steven

i'd say pine (which has been stained) - the grain looks a bit wide to be a hardwood.

Looks like Wellingtonia to me if it is not stained - I made a unit from it last year.

Rod

Hi,

I'd say it was some sort of pine (could well be Douglas Fir) that has been dipped to strip back old layers of paint.

Richard

Im pretty sure thats cedar.

Does it smell nice and fragrent after its cut? Or if you cant cut it, does water bead on its surface rather than soak in?

I'd go along with Douglas fir aka Oregon pine . The grain is too straight for Cedar and no other timber smells like Cedar , Cedar is unmistakable by it's unique rich woody smell . Not a typical door timber , perfect for exterior claddings ie canopy linings facias etc . Totem poles of Cedar are still standing after hundred of years . Durability second to none . Expensive but not sure how it competes with h/w today . Wandering off topic enough , Cheers !

I would say its likely to be douglas fir. If you plane it a bit it has a distinct dissenfectant like smell. It could aslo be southern yelllow pine as the grains are quite similar.

Jon

I'd go with pitch pine. Especially if the darker parts of the figuring are very resinous and it's relatively hard. Used extensively for doors in the early years of the last century. Quite good fun to work with, but also tends to be brittle in small sections.

This door and the other one slightly out of shot have both been dipped in the same tank. The colour is totally uniform and looks more purple than anything else.

The door was covered in white gloss prior to dipping so I wouldn't have thought its been stained.

Are we going with douglas fir or pine?

it'll soon be receiving some stained glass :)

6a0d_3.JPG

If when cut, it smells like 'pencil-shavings' it's probably cedar. Cedar can be this brown colour and it can display similar grain patterns.

If not, then it'll likely be Douglas Fir, or Pitch-pine. (Resinous and sticky and quite dense too.)

:(

Latest posts

Back