name that vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizard

Established Member
Reaction score
Bought this at a car boot sale today £12.00 works on a cam not a thread, its quick release just push it to the work piece and push the handle down and it tightens and locks. No makers name.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    191.1 KB · Views: 3,610
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    225.3 KB · Views: 3,609
Nice looking "victorian minimal" castings, I never saw one like that before. I'm guessing its some sort of pattern makers vice from a railway works?

That bears a strong resemblance to what is known on this side of the Atlantic as a Sheldon vise. They're much rarer than most and among those in the know they fetch a pretty penny. I finally found one recently, but it needs some repair because someone opened the jaws wide and gave it so many hard raps that it damaged the castings that hold up the moving section to the fixed section. Nothing against the workmanship or materials--it appears to be a very solid--but as with anything, even quality gear exposed to a knucklehead with a hammer hath but a short time to live.

Since this is my first post, I can't include a link, but if you google "sheldon-vise-install-on-a-deadline" there's an article that may be of interest.

As with many Anglo-American tools, I don't know its pedigree, but it would appear to me that there are more examples of that style vise in the States than in the UK. Hope that helps.

I was thinking the same thing, but I haven't seen one exactly like that one. Some of them do have that type of handle.

PC190408.JPG

WorkbenchSmallOldSummer2013--2_zpsfea6a6cb.jpg

I have this from a roughly 1920 Melhuish catalogue.

The text below notes that the vice supplied is actually model "blah" (from another page), which is a much more conventional (to current eyes) Q/R trigger model.

So presumably this bench is actually an old model, and they didn't make a new copper plate.

mehuish.jpg

BugBear

Attachments

• mehuish.jpg
    mehuish.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 3,341
Listed in the Buck & Hickman 1913 catalogue as a Joiners bench vice.
Price £1-4s- 6d, with bench hook.

Take care.

Chris R.

Just a random additional thought here , but , the colour looks a lot like that on my Parkinson vice. Mine is not of a cammed variety and I don't know if Parkinson made that type. But they seem to favour the same colours , whoever made it.

lanemaux":25ndf2kw said:
Just a random additional thought here , but , the colour looks a lot like that on my Parkinson vice. Mine is not of a cammed variety and I don't know if Parkinson made that type. But they seem to favour the same colours , whoever made it.

I think the colour shown is "rust", and you're quite right - it's common on old tools... :lol:

BugBear

Entwisle and Kenyon
April 1903.

April 1903.
July 1907. Ewbank platform.

July 1907. Ewbank platform.
sometimes spelt Entwistle and Kenyon
of Ewbank Works, Accrington, Lancashire. Telephone: Accrington 2631 (3 lines). Telegraphic Address: "Accrington 2631". (1937)
1865 Company founded.
1880 Company established
1896 Ewbank catalogue: [3]
1897 Incorporated as a Limited Company.
1914 Specialities: washing, wringing and mangling machines, vices, carpet sweepers. [1]
1922 Patents x 2 - Improvements in carpet sweepers. [2]
1937 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Ewbank Carpet Sweepers. New pattern Ewbank Clothes Washer and Wringer. Porcelain Enamelled Wringers with Wood or Rubber rollers in Ball bearings, including Portable Model. Kitchen Cabinet containing Washer and Wringer. (Stand No. A.609) [3]
1961 Manufacturers of domestic machines including Ewbank carpet sweepers and washing machines. 500 employees.
Note: (07/08) The company - now called Ewbank - has its own website: [4]

http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Entwisle_and_Kenyon

Back