nail gun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bilal

Reaction score
hi all im new to this chat room, im wanting to make my own sheds , but not sure what type of nail gun to buy . i wont be useing it all the time just a hobby there are so many different type out there the shed i want to build will be made out of 3x2 and maybe 19mm shiplap i havent brought the materials yet..... but i want a nailer for the frameing and also the shiplap can anyone please send me some links or types of nail guns most likely a compresser as i think it works out cheaper and its only for my garage many thanks

I personally would not use a nailer. You could use screws or galvanised nails for the frame work. I think nailers make a mess of board work. A much nicer look is stainless screws. I have used Stanley bostich a lot and they are good, problem is the nails are expensive.

bilal":3bdv427t said:
hi all im new to this chat room, im wanting to make my own sheds , but not sure what type of nail gun to buy . i wont be useing it all the time just a hobby there are so many different type out there the shed i want to build will be made out of 3x2 and maybe 19mm shiplap i havent brought the materials yet..... but i want a nailer for the frameing and also the shiplap can anyone please send me some links or types of nail guns most likely a compresser as i think it works out cheaper and its only for my garage many thanks

"Chat room" Oh you're so 90's.

Welcome. A nailer for nailing the frames will set you back the neck end of £400...will you use it again? Hire is a better option. As already said the nails will potentially split boards. Quality screws (Screwfix turbo gold) and a good cordless drill is my recommendation, you'll use the cordless for ever.

Personally I try to avoid using nails wherever possible for any kind of framework but that's my own preference, I don't build to budgets for customers - they pay a premium for the quality so I don't use any cheap materials. I also sell on the ease of future modification for garden buildings, not as easy if everything is nailed.

As far as shiplap goes, I tend to secret fix with oval nails. Cladding is the rare occasion I do use nails but I prefer to hide them.

If your intending to knock up a couple of sheds for your own use I would go along with the recommendations. If your intending to make sheds for sale on a part time basis then a nailer would be invaluable in terms of time saved. There are always plenty of decent second hand examples on ebay

hi , im aiming to build 3 sheds not all at one but over time can anyone be kind enough to send me a link of a nail gun,.. , eaither with a compresser and nail gun or what they think would be cheap value for money i have took ur comments on board and im gratefull , but i cant see me hand nailing then shiplap lol id be dreaming nails ......as it might seem basic but if i use 19 mm shiplap and say 3x2 framing obviously different size nail s so does that mean differnt nail guns please help us out maybe links so i can see pictures lol thanks

Sounds to me like you just want to have a go of a nailer, however, I use this model. This for the framework http://www.screwfix.com/p/paslode-im350 ... r-6v/72433 It works on re-chargable batteries to provide the spark and power the fan and gas cannisters for fuel. It really is a professional tool and not designed for occasional diy use. You can use as small as 2" nails and up to 4". It will work for the shiplap with short nails but will probably split it. It's NOT delicate and only good for unseen structural work. Shop around for prices and stay away from second hand. There's new Dewalt cordless battery powered one that gets excellent reviews http://www.dewalt.co.uk/cordlessnailer/
Your other option is a compressor and air nailer. The air nailers are all (as far as I'm aware) too lightweight for studwork. And the ones I've seen only fire wire nails no good for the shiplap. (I use a Senco for finish nailing).
I own an air nailer but my compressor died ages ago so don't use it. I'm not sure if you can get one that fires 4" nails for the framework.

STAY AWAY FROM THESE http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/produ ... SRC-nailer or anything made by Tacwise. In my experience they are useless and I don't know how they stay in business.

My recommendation is this for the framework : http://www.screwfix.com/p/turbogold-cou ... -100/17988 They are superb and start themselves effortlessly and will screw right through the wood and out the other side if you keep going. And one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/stanley-fibre ... 20oz/69057 a nice 20oz hammer and some 2" galvanised clout nails secret nailed through the shiplap. (Secret nailing: nail one board on then cover the nails with the next....... the secret is out).

I would drill oversize hole and screw it on

split shiplap will cost u more in waste than the extra time spent doing it right

just my opinion

i would love a nailgun but not sure what i would use it for

Wouldn't want to use a "proper" Paslode or similar for fixing shiplap or similar thin cladding. But for heavier stuff like fence boards or the sort of inch thick cladding on our house, they are OK.
One use for the lightweight, one-handed air nailers which fire those 18g pins is just to use them to provide temporary location for stuff that you then nail, or screw on more solidly.

The air nailers are all (as far as I'm aware) too lightweight for stud work FALSE

american carpenters have been building home with air nailer for many many years

i have been using a air nail gun for over 10 years

fires 90mm ring shank nails with lot larger gauge than passlode can handle

had a passlode binned it fed up with wasting gas flat batteries don't like hot weather hate cold weather

have fitted 1000,s of mtrs of ship lap cladding feather board and other using this
Tacwise Coil Nailer 57mm. Air Nail Gun. GCN57P

get a air nailer passlode are rubbish

all the best ghostrider

ghostrider":2s3yryoc said:
The air nailers are all (as far as I'm aware) too lightweight for stud work FALSE

american carpenters have been building home with air nailer for many many years

i have been using a air nail gun for over 10 years

fires 90mm ring shank nails with lot larger gauge than passlode can handle

had a passlode binned it fed up with wasting gas flat batteries don't like hot weather hate cold weather

have fitted 1000,s of mtrs of ship lap cladding feather board and other using this
Tacwise Coil Nailer 57mm. Air Nail Gun. GCN57P

get a air nailer passlode are rubbish

all the best ghostrider

Thanks for you considered opinion GR. Paslode are the recognised standard in the UK. I've had a couple and have employed many guys who use them. They coped happily on loft conversions all year round. Of course if you abuse them or let them get damp they will play up. I know the Americans like and use the air nailers but in 30 years I've never seen anyone on site or elsewhere other than a workshop using compressed air nailers.
I've tried and returned 3 Tacwise nailers all jammed continuously very early in their use. Tacwise were sympathetic but offered nothing but to suggest I get a refund from my supplier.

hi the air compressors over this side of the country are getting popular

i have seen and used them on site /shop-fits all over the country they are getting more popular the big names are now doing air tools over here

i think that passlodes are OK for quick jobs but if your doing any thing big i take me compressor and guns 1st /2nd fix
the cost ratio vs passlode is fantastic cheaper nails cheaper guns more reliable less breakdown more variation in guns

i have a 23 gauge pinner for moldings you cannot get that gauge in a gas gun
it is nearly invisible fixing

1 compressor many many tools for it

all the best ghostrider

ghostrider":34fcltfh said:
hi the air compressors over this side of the country are getting popular

i have seen and used them on site /shop-fits all over the country they are getting more popular the big names are now doing air tools over here

i think that passlodes are OK for quick jobs but if your doing any thing big i take me compressor and guns 1st /2nd fix
the cost ratio vs passlode is fantastic cheaper nails cheaper guns more reliable less breakdown more variation in guns

i have a 23 gauge pinner for moldings you cannot get that gauge in a gas gun
it is nearly invisible fixing

1 compressor many many tools for it

all the best ghostrider

Couldn't agree more. Just never seen them on site. I use a Senco cordless for mouldings.

I'm a joiner and have a paslode first fix gun, only because company's always supply paslode nails and gas.
When they work they are greAt but they can be temperamental, in the winter you have to keep the gas warm or it won't work!
The boshstitch air system is awesome and 100% reliable but you have to have a compressor and pipe work which for some reason site manages just don't like.
All the yanks use air gear though...
As for building sheds, I use my first fix for stuff like that just with maybe 50mm nails
But you need to outlay for the gun (£400) ish new and a box of nails and gas are maybe £35?

Back