Nail gun to replace screws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HantsHog

Established Member
Reaction score
I make small (10x6x9cm) wooden boxes out of 18mm softwood for use as insect hotels. I currently glue and screw them with 6gx1.25" screws which make for a good sturdy build albeit overkill. Each box has 8 screws and I make about 50 at a time.

I'm now looking at speeding up the build process by replacing the screws with hidden nails, pins or brads using a gun but keep the strength of the screws. I would also like to use the same tool for different size of nails if possible.

Happy with electric or air gun with small compressor; gas is probably a bit overkill and pricey. Small workshop so space tight. Price under £100 new or decent second hand brand off eBay.

Also not sure between nail, pins or brads so guidance on that as well please.

Thanks

I've got Bostitch for 18 gauge brads and an Axy staple gun which takes up to 10mm. THE bostitch is very good quality and cost IRO £80 IIRC and that was some years ago. The Axy was under £50 and I've been very impressed with it. It's sturdy, heavy and no slouch in the firing department so I would buy another Axy air gun. I also have a paslode for framing but that's not relevant for your needs.

Air tools are very good value these days, even compressors aren't expensive and they're so versatile. Mine's hooked up to the air blowing gun when not being used for nailing. I also use it to pump any and all tyres up incl cars and also for spray painting. Couldn't live without it.

Years ago I bought the cheapest air nailer I could find, I done even know the name of it. It's been great, I've never cleaned it or oiled it and it's fired thousands and thousands of nails. And never jammed. I think you would be happy with what ever you buy.

OK, air seems the best way to go. What about the actual pointy bits I.e nails, pins or brads. Can the be as effective as screws bearing in mind my screws are a bit overkill?

Thanks

No one seems to have noticed that you 'glue and screw' at present, and initially you seemed to hint that it is the screws that make the joints strong. Isn't it true that modern glues make a joint stronger than the wood itself, so the function of screws - or brads/nails from a nail gun - are just to hold the parts together until the glue sets ? So an air nailer with pins long enough to hold parts together firmly should be ideal for effectiveness and speed.

Hi,

Recently bought a Makita AF505 18g Brad Nailer £80.95 takes 15- 50mm Brads (just noticed on eBay £74 )

Also purchased a Draper Oil free compressor with a 24 ltr tank. It is very small & mobile on wheels.

The Makita has worked perfectly not one misfire also nice and light.

The draper compressor works well with the gun and is reasonably quiet, no complaints from the neighbours yet. It copes well with the Makita firing a lot of brads before the compressor starts back up,

If its only for an Air gun, Nail gun or inflating tyres a 24 ltr tank is enough, If you intend to use other air tools at the same time or paint spraying you may need a larger tank.

I had a large stock of 18swg Tacwise brads from my useless electric nail gun and they work fine in the Makita without any jams. I bought 5000 50mm Genuine Makita brads from Buyaparcel.com for £13.45 inc postage

Regards

Keith

Small compressor and 18 gauge nail gun together with glue will work fine, toe-nail the nails in at different angles too just for extra holding power although probably not necessary.

Cheers, Paul

HantsHog":mirnzg56 said:
Thanks for all of the advice. I'll give an air nailer and compressor a go.

Hi,

I am in Boston. If it would be helpful you are welcome to pop over (if you are not to far away) & try my nail gun to see if pneumatic nailing is a suitable alternative for your needs before committing to a purchase

Regards,

Keith

Hemsby":3ml8yz4c said:
HantsHog":3ml8yz4c said:

Hi,

I am in Boston. If it would be helpful you are welcome to pop over (if you are not to far away) & try my nail gun to see if pneumatic nailing is a suitable alternative for your needs before committing to a purchase

Regards,

Keith

Keith, that is a brilliant offer which I will accept as I'm just outside Wragby so not far. I like Makita and prices are reasonable. PM me your details and when's convenient.

Thanks

HantsHog":7s8x6827 said:
Hemsby":7s8x6827 said:
HantsHog":7s8x6827 said:

Hi,

Regards,

Keith

Keith, that is a brilliant offer which I will accept as I'm just outside Wragby so not far. I like Makita and prices are reasonable. PM me your details and when's convenient.

Thanks

PM Sent

Thanks to Keith (Hemsby) for offering me the chance to test out his Makita AF505 and see his setup and great hospitality. I was amazed at how easy and effective the brads are in testing. So now I am awaiting delivery of a Makita AF505 18g air nailer (£60 from FFX); Airmaster Tiger 11/250 compressor from Lincoln Machine Mart (on offer from £143 to £119) and 5,000 Makita 30mm brads from Buyaparcel on eBay.

One problem is what to do with all of my screws that I still have!

DonJohnson":2ofilvuv said:
No one seems to have noticed that you 'glue and screw' at present, and initially you seemed to hint that it is the screws that make the joints strong. Isn't it true that modern glues make a joint stronger than the wood itself, so the function of screws - or brads/nails from a nail gun - are just to hold the parts together until the glue sets ? So an air nailer with pins long enough to hold parts together firmly should be ideal for effectiveness and speed.

Now then Mr DonJohnson, you are spot on thanks. After testing Hemsby's Makita AF505 18g air nailer I was absolutely convinced after firing only one brad that this is the way to go. This little bit of kit will reduce my assembly time by 75%. The only downside is where if any pieces of wood are cut a little short the brads will have no positive effect whereas the screws will pull them together. This is not a major problem as I will just have to cut a bit better from now on or just use an extra brad here and there.

Thanks for everyone's help and especially Hemsby.

Latest posts

Back