Mystery Router fences

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.S

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Router fence, with separate attachment, the identity of which I'm uncertain about. There's no markings on the Alu casting. It came to me along with a DeWalt 613 (and lots of odds and sods), but that already has its fence. The rods are around 10mm in diameter, as is the larger of the two holes in the 'adjustment' block. Smaller hole alongside is around 8mm.

Here's a pic (click on this and it'll take you to my photobucket album with further pics):

Are these fences fairly universal e.g. fit most DeWalts, Trend etc? If it helps, the centre of the larger holes is about 100mm apart, the smaller holes c.84mm apart.

Finally, there's the separate attachment, - with the black arm/pad? It looks like it will replace the main fence by fixing it to the 'adjustment' block - but for what purpose?

I already have a fence for my Router so looking to identify it for disposal purposes.

I think the attachment is a copy routing device for bits that don't have a bearing. You can also rig it up to trim lippings or edge veneers (with dubious accuracy!).

Thanks custard.

Searched for what you described and came up withthis - which looks identical.

So probably the entire fence is designed for DeWalt Routers.

that fence looks exactly the same as the ones that fit my Elu MOF96E and my Trend T10. The T10 uses the fatter rods and furthest spaced holes, the 96E thinner rods and closer holes. So maybe not universal but not restricted solely to DeWalts.

The Dewalt 613 is the single speed version of the 615 isn't it ? Essentially Dewalt's replacement for the Elu MOF96. Does the 613 use the thinner rods at the narrower spacing ?

mseries":2z9lx3np said:
Does the 613 use the thinner rods at the narrower spacing ?

=D>

Didn't think to try that out :oops: - yes, the 613 rods fit in the narrower holes/spacing.

Overall then, perhaps not universal but should fit a wide(ish) range of Elu, Dewalt and Trend routers..and clones thereof. I think I recollect that DeWalt's bought out Elu and also make the Trend T11 (near DW625 equivalent?), so that would make sense.

yep, roughly the DW615 is their clone of the MOF96E and the Trend T5 is more or less the same. Similarly the DW625 is the same as the Elu MOF177E and Trend T10. Trend T11 is based on Trend T10 but has a slightly modified base to facilitate undertable mounting and above table adjustment. Your fence will fit all of those with the correct rods which you have, as well as your DW613 !!! (and others)

That fence is quite universal it will fit the large and small Elu designs and any clones - perles,makita,holzher and virutex all used the same layout. The edge trimmer replaces the long fence, the forked end of the follower fits into the groove in the fine adjuster next to the adjustable scale.
Black&decker bought Dewalt in 1960 and Elu in 1984
Matt

Thanks all.

Just found this link to a post on RouterForums by some guy called Phil P, which covers it pretty well. Hmmm, Phil P.....rings a bell

Shrubby":3dl1esvy said:
Black&decker bought Dewalt in 1960 and Elu in 1984 Matt

Yep, they sold under the banner of B&D professional and had dedicated reps. We were one of the distributors of the tools which of which were assembled in their Spennymoor factory.

Those were the days when routers were really decent and Elu was king. Wonder how many 177s and 96s are still in use? Bet it's a lot.

I have the same style of fence. It came with a DeWalt 625E (Made in Italy, can't remember the year). The knobs are somewhat different, but the casting looks the same (mine has markings inside along the fence). The knobs on your photos are the same one used on a Trend circle jig that I have.

dewalt_fence_1.JPG

dewalt_fence_2.JPG

By the way, it can be useful to have 2 fences for one router, for morticing, as demonstrated here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXEvRoW8lY8#t=2m52s

Guillaume

Attachments

• dewalt_fence_1.JPG
    dewalt_fence_1.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 103
  • dewalt_fence_2.JPG
    dewalt_fence_2.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 103
Thanks all - the info enabled me to list it with an accurate description and I already have buyers wanting a BIN price.

Guillaume - thanks for the pics. Yes, 2 fences can be useful and i did consider keeping it myself (I have a Trend T11) but I'm trying to be strong willed - I'm in danger of becoming a tool collector rather than user :)

Back