Mystery over a Charnwood pillar drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OscarG

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm after a Charnwood W380 pillar drill, 500w motor, 16mm chuck, lasers (cool love lasers!), rack and pinion table height adjustment, about £250. For my needs (light woodwork, luthiery) it's just what I'm looking for.

https://www.charnwood.net/products/prod ... athway-137

Problem is I can't get one, Charnwood have discontinued it although the smaller version (W370) is still available. Sadly the smaller one doesn't have rack and pinion height adjustment.

I asked Charnwood if a newer model was coming out to replace it but got told:

Unfortunately we have no replacement for the W380. Production was discontinued and an alternative has not yet been offered to us – we believe any new model will have to comply with recent changes to the European Standard (EC) although we can’t say exactly what they are.

Maybe it's just me but do you think that answer is a bit odd? It reads like Charnwood is the retailer and not the designer/manufacturer. Just wondering why they'd bin a drill and not replace it, poor sales? safety issues?

I'm now scratching around to see if there's an ex-demo one I can get hold of, but everyone seems to be out of stock.

Can anyone recommend a comparible drill? SIP any good?

OscarG":e79k3xot said:
....Maybe it's just me but do you think that answer is a bit odd? It reads like Charnwood is the retailer and not the designer/manufacturer.

Charnwood is Just a Retail Brand, I doubt very much that they design anything, just select products offered to them by multiple manufacturers and have them supplied duly painted to their brand colours and with their selection of accessories and quality standards.
Much as many others like Axminster et alia. you will find similar machines originating in the same factories marketed under different flags and with various internal quality standards applied to internal components dependant on price point/quantity ordered/ price market will stand etc.

We were told here last week that charnwood is expecting to launch the Laguna brand in the autumn. I suspect they are reducing old stock and emptying the warehouse #ready for it.

sunnybob":2sqwxjnf said:
We were told here last week that charnwood is expecting to launch the Laguna brand in the autumn. I suspect they are reducing old stock and emptying the warehouse #ready for it.

When you say here, I assume you mean on this forum, I missed that. Can you link please?

I cant remember the name of the post, but it was about table saws, and the guy said charnwood were selling laguna by the autumn.

Hi, I have one of these, (purchased about 3 years ago). I would not buy another as there is a design flaw in the "gearing". There is a central pulley wheel that allows the 2 belts to be moved up or down to change speeds. The problem is that it is only supported by a very thin piece of plate at the bottom end only. So if you put the spindle belt on the top pulley and the motor belt on the bottom pulley it effectively "pulls" the central pulley over to one side and the belts bind and the motor stalls. Its not a major problem from me as it does not get that much use, it just means you can't use it in the "high" speed gear.

sunnybob":25ofvou0 said:

Hi Sunnybob - Charnwood are the sole Laguna agents for UK/Eire & we've already launched cyclones - more to come.

Laguna will run as a separate brand to Charnwood, it has no effect on Charnwood's stock holding or proposed product line up at all - there's enough space for both brands in the warehouses.

Cheers
Nick

Back