Myford ML8 oil feed.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Pib, Welcome
sorry cant help you with your query usually someone can point you in the right direction
have you tried a Google ?

Can't help with detail, but maybe if we knew why the OP needs to know the thread, we could be more helpful? So if the info is needed for finding new oilers, then its possible someone has some lying around (as indeed I may do)?

As far as I know the ML8 didn't have oil cups, it had a blanking machine screw central above each head bearing. You remove these to oil, then replace.

I know not if there are oil caps around that would fit this thread, but if the hole is small enough you may be able to use push in friction fit oilers in the threaded holes.

Hello there, On My ML8s The blanking screws for the headstock bearing oil fillers have a thread diameter of 3/8" and what seems to be a 28tpi thread. This does not equate to any thread I'm familiar with, although given Myfords habit of using strange and unique to them thread forms, it may be Model Engineer thread form. I hope this helps.If you are simply trying to replace missing filler screws, perhaps tapping to 10mm metric and using allen headed grub screws would do the job.

regards Paul

parvum":2gvu6wv8 said:
Hello there, On My ML8s The blanking screws for the headstock bearing oil fillers have a thread diameter of 3/8" and what seems to be a 28tpi thread. This does not equate to any thread I'm familiar with, although given Myfords habit of using strange and unique to them thread forms, it may be Model Engineer thread form. I hope this helps.If you are simply trying to replace missing filler screws, perhaps tapping to 10mm metric and using allen headed grub screws would do the job.

regards Paul

If the thread is 60deg. then it is most likely the same standard as used from the early days on sewing machines and probably instigated by Singer.

Usually referred to as Nähnorm 100 standard(pdf) it is also listed On Michael's Site ([url=http://www.gewinde-normen.de]http://www.gewinde-normen.de)[/url]

Hello again,
After more careful examination of the thread on the oil filler, it seems to be 1/8 bsp, which is indeed 28 tpi x 0.382", the 1/8 refers to the inside bore of the pipe being threaded, not bspt which is tapered. On my lathe a 1/8 bsp tap goes happily with finger and thumb pressure, so sorry Myford RIP, for the unjust accusation,no need to send the boys round for my suggesting tapping to a modern thread.

regards Paul

Back