Myford ML8 Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trials_guy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently bought a Myford ML8 with a whole load of attachments but as I'm new to turning, I was after some advice please.

Firstly, what oil should I be using in the bearings in the headstock? I've seen that some people use ATF fluid?

Secondly, currently in the headstock, the attachment for spindle turning is inserted (I'm not sure what these are called but It has a little point on it with 4 flat pieces to grip and turn the spindle. If I wanted to replace this with a chuck, how would I remove it? A friend told me that on his Metal lathe, you would insert something into the spindle from behind and tap it out? The only problem is, on the back of the spindle, there is a grinding wheel attachment. I can't work out how to remove this either?! I noticed that on the grinding wheel attachment and the lathe spindle, there are black collars which look like they have a little hole drilled into them. I don't know whether it's just a case of putting a couple of screwdrivers in here and unscrewing it but I didn't want to go messing around with something I wasn't sure about!

Sorry that it's quite vague, I don't have access on my account to post links to images either but hopefully you understand what I mean!

Thanks a lot in advance.

There's a button which locks the spindle, lock that and the grinding wheel should unscrew - don't forget it's anti clockwise. Then a bit of steel bar or a long screwdriver through the spindle, give it a tap and the centre will come out. There are threads here about the oil if you search. It's ATF or another very light oil iirc - it's a total waste system, and meant to wash through taking any crud with it. Be careful if you use the grinding wheel that the abrasive dust doesn't build up around the spindle. Welcome, btw, - get a few more posts in and you'll be able to PM, post pics. and so on.

Hi Phil, Thanks a lot for your help - appreciate it. I did see that there is a indexing plunger to lock the spindle is that what you mean? I didn't want to use this without knowing whether it was designed for this as I didn't want to snap it!
That's no problem, I do have a lot of light gear oil from the motorbike and some ATF kicking around. If it's just for flushing it out I'm sure either will be fine.
Thanks again

Knockout bar is the term used for the metal rod to push things off the morse taper from through the back of the spindle. Welcome to the forum. Don't be shy about getting your post count up. Friendly folk n all that :)

A great early project for spindle turning is to make the handle for your own knockout bar in fact

trials_guy":1az6aumx said:
Hi guys,

I recently bought a Myford ML8 with a whole load of attachments but as I'm new to turning, I was after some advice please.

Firstly, what oil should I be using in the bearings in the headstock? I've seen that some people use ATF fluid?

Secondly, currently in the headstock, the attachment for spindle turning is inserted (I'm not sure what these are called but It has a little point on it with 4 flat pieces to grip and turn the spindle. If I wanted to replace this with a chuck, how would I remove it? A friend told me that on his Metal lathe, you would insert something into the spindle from behind and tap it out? The only problem is, on the back of the spindle, there is a grinding wheel attachment. I can't work out how to remove this either?! I noticed that on the grinding wheel attachment and the lathe spindle, there are black collars which look like they have a little hole drilled into them. I don't know whether it's just a case of putting a couple of screwdrivers in here and unscrewing it but I didn't want to go messing around with something I wasn't sure about!

Sorry that it's quite vague, I don't have access on my account to post links to images either but hopefully you understand what I mean!

Thanks a lot in advance.

The attachment for spindle turning is called a drive centre. If the centre point is spring loaded and it has lots of teeth, it is called a steb centre. It's held on by a Morse taper, and the posts above tell you how to get it out. Have fun and welcome!

Keith

Thanks everyone for your replies. It is good knowing there's a lot of helpful and friendly people here!

Bob - that's a pretty good idea! I might give that ago then I can kill 2 birds with one stone :)

Thanks again

The ML8 seems to be well thought of generally and well used by hobbyists for many years but Im still unclear how it compares alongside todays lathes. One of the diffferences seems to be that contemporary lathes can have their speed adjusted easily by a swith but the ML8 would need to have drive belts and pulleys changed manually.

The ML8 was used by quite a few professionals in its day and is a very solidly built machine, capable of a lot of good work. The headstock is very solid and the spindle bearings are huge and adjustable.

It has several limitations compared to modern lathes. The spindle and tailstock are MT1 not MT2. Faceplate turning is done outboard (still my preferred method) but the toolrest mounting means that the largest bowl or platter which can be turned is not much more than 30 cm diameter and reverse mounting a bowl with tailstock support to turn away mounting method is only possible inboard for quite small bowls. The lathe has only 4 speeds but this is not much of a limitation - few lathes had variable speed till very recently. Most of these limitations can be overcome by simple modifications.

The main problem I find is that the tailstock can rock slightly front-to-back on the round bed so its hard to get accurate alignment between centres for drilling - with the 1MT taper and the alignment problem, putting a large drill down a piece of work can be nerve racking.

I've had my ML8 since 1976 and modified it to take larger diameters outboard and a VS motor. I wouldn't want to tackle some of the big deep-hollowing projects but otherwise its a fine lathe.

Hi Trials guy,
I have only just seen this post, so my reply may be too late, but -
I have some details on the ML 8, brochure, exploded diagram and parts list. Pm me with your email address if you want a copy. Same offer applies to any other ML 8 owners

Edit - I also have the union graduate and viceroy instruction booklets from the web, and if anyone wants those just ask. If I can't find the link then I will email you the booklets.

K

graduate_owner":2tsh1uyz said:
Hi Trials guy,
I have only just seen this post, so my reply may be too late, but -
I have some details on the ML 8, brochure, exploded diagram and parts list. Pm me with your email address if you want a copy. Same offer applies to any other ML 8 owners

Edit - I also have the union graduate and viceroy instruction booklets from the web, and if anyone wants those just ask. If I can't find the link then I will email you the booklets.

K

Any chance you can pm me the Exploded Diagram and parts list for the ML8 please. I have one and I need a new set of bearings.
As an aside, do you know where I can get a Combination Slide for the ML8?
Appreciate any assistance you can provide. Best Regards.

Hi Weeman It sems you can't pm without more posts.and the system wont allow html in emails using the forum set up.email me [email protected] if you want and I'll send you the diagrams for the ml8, there is also a vague account of bearing adjustment, they are angular contact bearings and end float is important, too tight and they die. Early ml8s had imperial bearings, very pricy now, but later ones are metric and easily available from bearing boys etc.

Hi Weeman,
I have pm'd you, but will repeat here. Pm me your email address ( or just post it here) and I will send you what I have.

Regards,

K

Latest posts

Back