Myford ml8 help please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsutton29

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just got a early myford ml8. The cream one. Stripping it down for restoration. One problem the spindle will not budge. I have removed the two grub screws in the belt cogs. And the to in the collet on the outboard side. No amount of persuasion with a glaziers mallet will shift it a mil. Am I missing something?

sounds like you have this document already which shows an exploded view. Have a look here might give some clues.

Attachments

• ML8.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
Do you have the locking pin engaged? It is a knurled knob around 9 o'clock as you look at the front of the spindle.
Not saying I have ever left mine in after a chuck change....... but it could happen to others.

No it’s disengaged. I think I’ll clean and lube what I can. And not repaint. Thanks for your advice

Hi
Unless you need to change the drive belt assuming its a one piece and not a link belt then why bother to take the spindle out?

No it’s a link belt. Just wanted to clean every part and strip and repaint it as it’s not the best paint job. But I’m thinking of just living with it.

I failed to remove the spindle on mine when I first had it and needed to replace the drive belt. I felt I was in real danger of breaking the headstock casting. I bought a link belt instead.

K

sounds like you have this document already which shows an exploded view. Have a look here might give some clues.
Thanks, I also have an ML8, it mentions adjusting the headstock, which possibly could save me replacing the bearings - it’s started to show a little movement and chatter in use. Anyone have any idea how this adjustment is done please?
Ian

Hi everyone. Just got a early myford ml8. The cream one. Stripping it down for restoration. One problem the spindle will not budge. I have removed the two grub screws in the belt cogs. And the to in the collet on the outboard side. No amount of persuasion with a glaziers mallet will shift it a mil. Am I missing something?
Sometimes you have 2 grub screws in one hole , 1 to lock and the second to stop the 1st one undoing.

Last edited:
Helo Cabinetman. To adjust the headstock bearings, which are angular contact bearings, you need to first remove the grub screw in the collar fitted on the outboard end of the splindle, watch out for the brass plug the protects the threads on the splindle and is fitted under the grub screw and may fall out when you move collar. The collar can now be rotated on its fine thread to either reduce or icrease the space between the bearings. If you can feel or preferabley measure endfloat on the spindle, gently tighten the collar until there is no perceptable endfloat, but no further, then replace the grub screw with the brass plug under it. Be very careful not to over do the preload on these bearings as you will shorten their life, if you feel you have over done this setting. loosen the collar and give the inboard end a gentle tap to achieve excess endfloat and the start again! Myford stress in their manual that this adjustment be correct to ensure maximum life from this bearing set. These bearings are huge and of high quality, they must be lubricated with light oil on a total loss basis, not grease.
I hope this helps regards Paul

Helo Cabinetman. To adjust the headstock bearings, which are angular contact bearings, you need to first remove the grub screw in the collar fitted on the outboard end of the splindle, watch out for the brass plug the protects the threads on the splindle and is fitted under the grub screw and may fall out when you move collar. The collar can now be rotated on its fine thread to either reduce or icrease the space between the bearings. If you can feel or preferabley measure endfloat on the spindle, gently tighten the collar until there is no perceptable endfloat, but no further, then replace the grub screw with the brass plug under it. Be very careful not to over do the preload on these bearings as you will shorten their life, if you feel you have over done this setting. loosen the collar and give the inboard end a gentle tap to achieve excess endfloat and the start again! Myford stress in their manual that this adjustment be correct to ensure maximum life from this bearing set. These bearings are huge and of high quality, they must be lubricated with light oil on a total loss basis, not grease.
I hope this helps regards Paul
It certainly does help Paul! Thanks hugely. Ian

Latest posts

Back