Myford ML8 Headstock bearing adjustment

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okeydokey

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a recently acquired cream colour ML8 and have been sorting it out over the last couple of weeks. While fitting an outboard faceplate I noticed that the 2 grub screws on the spindle adjusting collar were loose. I've tightened them up but presumably there must be a correct way of making sure the bearing end float - if that's what the collar is for is for is adjusted correctly!
Is it just a question of slackening both screws and then turning the collar one way and the other until it feels right? ie trying to move the spindle left/right with the belt slackened to get minimal movement? Any ideas/does any one know how to do it or please point me to an online how to do it.
thanks folks.

hi, yes you're right about the collar for tightening the spindle in the bearings, I just tightened mine enough to take the slack out and didn't over do it, hopefully someone will be able to chime in with a procedure for exact amount but I think just past slack is enough and just check every now and again.

The bearings are opposed taper roller bearings, lubricated through the two screw plugs on top. They need a few drops of light oil every time the lathe is used. Once they are lubricated, tighten the collar until the bearings start to drag, then back off a fraction of a turn till the spindle spins freely with no end float. Should only need doing once. If the bearings are worn they are pretty standard and can be replaced by a bearing supplier.

Sorry to awaken a very old thread, but could someone explain what @robe_uk means by the 'collar' on the ML8?
Please ignore me - I've now found an exploded diagram of the ML8 elsewhere on the forum and all is now clear and my bearings are adjusted.

Latest posts

Back