my x cut pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggy

Established Member
Reaction score
well i got time today to try one of the blanks we got from neil. ( thanks neil ) it is a x cut spalted hard maple on a cigar pen kit for the son in law.
there were no blow outs because you must use super sharp tools and also keep stabalising the blank with thin ca. but once its done i micromeshed up to 12000 then i used ca/blo( 4 coats ) what dya think ? well i like the result and so does the s.i.l.
20032009298_edited.jpg

20032009297_edited.jpg

Well done Greggy, You use the same finishing method as me. Your one appears to have come up better than mine!
When you stabilize with thin ca, is that as you are turning and before you get to the finishing? I have never tried that before.
Barry.

Hi Greggy.

Gorgeous colour, figure, and finish. If it was mine :mrgreen: , I think I would have preferred the two parts not to be so bulbous. To me it looks as if the centre should be bigger than the bands that are fitted. So that the two parts flow together. If that makes sense. :-s

Still looks great! =D>

TEP":1l4xzx9c said:
Hi Greggy.

I think I would have preferred the two parts not to be so bulbous. To me it looks as if the centre should be bigger than the bands that are fitted. So that the two parts flow together. If that makes sense. :-s

Still looks great! =D>

tam, i know what you mean. he does not have hands he has shovels :lol:
and he wanted it thicker, but thats the thickest i would go. his hands measure,,, from tip of index finger to start of wrist 10 inches and thumb to tip of little finger 10 1/4 inches when the whole hand is stretched out

brill greggy
im no wood expert but i love spalted wood. To me the bulbous look is very eye catching
I think its great... well done

hiya barry, with any x cut grain blanks
you need super sharp tools ( thank god for the tormek ) when you get down to 3-4 mm of the required shape. stop the lathe then run thin ca all over the blank. let it soak in for a few moments, then carry on taking very light cuts 2-3 passes and repeat until you have your final shape. then micromesh as normal to 12000. then apply your finish as usual. job done. now here is a tip,, if you blow the blank or you get a small chunk off near the end of your blank. stop the lathe and put a drop of thin ca into the blank where the chunk is missing and stuff with fine shavings from your blank. then sand as normal. hope this helps.

Greggy with hands that size he ain't a relation of the Yeti. Is he? :lol: :lol: :wink:

Well done Greggy, you deserve a big hand................... :oops:
Hat, Coat, "TAXI"................ :lol:

wow thanks guys & gals, i think with the spalting the x cut does not show
up very well. i have another ready for the finish so it will show the x cut better. thanks again.

hiya barry, thats what this forum is all about. passing on tips of all kinds. big or small they all count. i have noticed that the people that makes pens are getting better at it. and the finishing is improving no end. keep up the good work. :wink:

Back