My very very first piece of furniture

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutting42

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I am soooooo chuffed. I have actually completed my first attempt at a piece of furniture and I am pretty happy with it. It is a desk for my daughter now she has started junior school and does more homework etc. The finish was to match her bunk bed, wardobe etc etc and was done using Dulux white wood wash and a satin varnish both acrylic. I would liked to have sprayed it as my brushing is poor but I got away with it.

Construction was cabinet grade pine except for the footrail which is oak (free offcut from the yard) and jointed with biscuits and/or dowels. The top and panels are those constructed boards of 50mm planks glued up together. I glued up a second piece to the top to make it wide enough. Drawers are 9mm ply on steel kitchen runners although I wish I had done them traditionally now oh well next time maybe.

Here was my design:

Rowenasdesk2.jpg

I changed the plan to have an inset rubber drawing surface and left it plain as you can see on the finished item:

DSC_7218.jpg

Any comments? It is quite simple and there are many mistakes but at the end of the day my daughter loves it and that'll do for me!

If that's just your first piece Gareth, you've done an excellent job. Curves, and Drawers aren't the easiest thing in the world, if you've never done them before. Good for you :D

Gareth,

Good looking first project, as has been said if your daughter is pleased with it, it doesn't get any better. :D

I love making stuff for the grandchildren, they will tell you exactly what they think of your work. :roll:

Aw shucks guys, thanks for the positive comments, very encouraging.

I need to take more care with getting stuff straight and square as a bit too much use of the sander was required to flatten the joints. The drawers are square but getting the fronts square was a pain. Ended up building a ply front and fixing the finish piece to the ply ending up in the drawers protruding from the carcass. Actually looks OK and does hide the variable gaps quite nicely.

We are about to move from a house with lots of integral closets to a house with NONE!!! #-o So next 4 project will be wardrobes I think!

Really fancy making something out of Oak as well, maybe a corner cabinet for glasses and decanters. Can't wait no stopping me now except for needing to build a workshop at the new place. Started the plans and think it will be 20x12 if I can get away with it! Ideally with a separate finishing room.

Looks a stunning piece of furniture, well done. It really makes a difference when you produce something thats appreciated by the family, you have every right to be cuffed.

Hey dont put it down, it's good. If your daughter likes it then that is the best praise you will ever get.

Great piece of work Gareth. If that's your first then I can't wait to see what you can do when you really get going.

Daz

Back