My tool cabinet (just a small update )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all

ah ha got it . sat hear mulling it over, as you do , and bang a little light switched on in the old grey matter, (maybe a flash of inspiration) they do come now and again.

With just a slight design adjustment, cut off the toe space which is already there , build a platform to secure the cabinet to which will have a set of four wheels plus a set of four adjustable feet wind up the adjustable feet roll the cabinet to where you want it manoeuverd into position wind down the adjustable feet so the wheels are lifted off the ground (no flat segments ) then adjust to level , reverse when a move is required hc :wink:

Sounds like a plan :wink:

'm in a semi recovered state, enought to go off and do 3 12 hour night shifts :cry: but am here watching in the background, when I've finished my soup :lol:

M10/12 Threaded rod, some nuts and washers, Pronged T Nuts and you're away, just got myself some castors from Toolstation, well made as well, only 75mm, I reckon "The Monster" would need a minimum of 100's ?
Axminster are cheaper though, but not worth the postage to Chester.

What about a central removeable foot in the centre, all that weight is now bearing on the four outside corners, perhaps a timber leg in the midle just to counteract any sag?

I'm watching 8)

Jed

Hi jed

hmm, :? not sure about the centre leg the lower half is all drawers , but food for thought though, already have the wheels a box of about 20 :wink: , came off of large blanket storage units come from my wifes last employers when they went in to administration , I was there helping to clean out the old shop and asked if i could have the blanket boxes as they had plans of skipping them all :) :) , I had enough green MDF to line out my workshop. :) :) :)

Just been looking at the axminster machine base feet , hmm :? maybe a bit to small on the feet diameter. but hey as you say it's a plan a starting point .hc

hi all

Actually two half days

here we go , been planing these tool cabinets now for a long time.

Please bear in mind these cabinets are middle of the road , all ply wood which will be glued and screwed, ain't no posh job like others before me ,These are aimed at what most I hope should be able to cope with skill wise , and cost has been bourne in mind as well .

This is the first of two different cabinets, this one is the first , which will house my numerous hand tool I have accumulated throughout my working life.

Size wise most will find this one quite large , it has to house all my hand tools not just my joinery tools but also my electrical, plumbing mechanical & decoration +my general building tools .

It will be built as one unit but designed with three differing sections .

DIMENSIONS D= 600mm* W=1200mm H= err um ? I've forgotten I'll check on that and get back to you all , sorry .

BOTTOM SECTION

this will be a full width drawer of various depths yet to be decided , some will have sliding drawers/trays internally .

MIDDLE SECTION

this is to house my many battery drills + chargers.

TOP SECTION

This is solely for all my Joinery tools which is still expanding hence why I have chosen the size I have to allow for future expansion of tools that I still have planned .

The design is continually being altered as I go along , the upper section depth wise is considerable deeper that most wall hung cabinets , as mine is an all in one floor standing unit this will not cause me any concern weight wise, I still have a few thoughts/concerns about the upper doors design which I'll get solved before much longer . So hear goes .

first pic show template tacked on and router used to cut shape of side panels

PDR_2180.jpg

cutting out toe space in main base section

Photo-0210.jpg

ply shelfing cut and sanded up awaiting assembly

PDR_2190-1.jpg

cleaned up housing and chopped square at end

PDR_2184-1.jpg

both ends completed awaiting assembly

PDR_2186-1.jpg

showing assembled lower half

PDR_2193-1.jpg

again showing assembled upper half

PDR_2192-1.jpg

back tacked on and cutting to length

PDR_2194-1.jpg

back screw on around edges but not yet across shelves

PDR_2201.jpg

Assembled and stood up for the first time

PDR_2202.jpg

just a little clean up in the corner where the router can't go

PDR_2197.jpg

ok now you 've seen the size of it , that's the basic shell put together , a little clean up in the corners but not a lot, now i have to source some timber for a framework to go on the front of the shell and the front of the opening upper doors, so if any question I will try and answer you the best I can ,I'll keep all of those interested as the work progresses updated with regular WIP posts, stay tuned . hc[/quote]

Just a small update .

Euro oak purchase from yandles last week nice timber , moisture meter arrive a few day later from Hong Kong had a few days play with it just to get the hang of think, So this morning decided to start rough cutting frame work to go on the front of cabinet which will be glued and i 'll use biscuits as well to secure them , First replaned face side and also one edge as well . Now it was time to use my Axminster 3400 bandsaw for the first time , hmm (nice like slicing butter, )(love it when a plan starts to come together ) really happy with it . all face frames are now rough cut and stacked with spacer to allow some more moisture reduction .

PDR_2238-1.jpg

PDR_2239.jpg

I'll leave the timber now for a few week, and start the adjustable legs section to go under plinth hc. stay tuned . :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back